insurance metal homes

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
retired1
Insurance Journal Fan

insurance metal homes

Post by retired1 »

I've built a new metal building -brand name- and had a custom carpenter finish the inside for a new home. The home is now finished and I went to get quotes for home owners insurance. I built one Iike this in Texas on a airport, hanger/home, very nice home, and had no problem insuring it. Farmers insured it, but will not do it here in Oklahoma. Tried other companies with little success. The home is on the edge of a small town, 1000' to fire hydrant and 4 blocks from fire Dept. -meets all city codes-elec-plumbing-etc. so it is not in a remote area. Agents are surprised also at not being able to get coverage, they submit for a policy and are rejected due to companies do not cover "metal homes". Would appreciate any suggestions on what to do, maybe different class or different underwriters. I just couldn't believe this would be a problem. Any ideas will be appreciated.
JohnnyLaw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: insurance metal homes

Post by JohnnyLaw »

Hello Retired 1, sounds pretty nice. National Lloyds will write it as long as it is not bigger than 3000 Sq Ft. I can write with them. Also if you send pictures and more data , can put it out to other markets. While back had the same issue with a commercial customer that lived in a dome type house. Grew up seeing them in Texas in the country look like igloos. Natl Lloyds was the only market.

If you wish for your agent to be local find a independent agent that has multiple markets. If not call me in Texas at 512-358-7252. Thanks John
Companyman
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: insurance metal homes

Post by Companyman »

Retired1- The company I work for find these homes ineligible due to the inability of determining a proper reconstruction cost (estimators aren't designed for that "type" which can be especially concerning in value policy states),possible claims problems (use a general contractor or someone special needed?) and a higher exposure to weather losses. Yours isn't the first I have seen, but it is still relatively unique to the homeowners market. Being in Oklahoma you are prone to extreme weather as evidenced by the last month. This obviously includes high winds and hail. How well do these hold up in comparison to a frame home w/ brick or siding to high winds? Being metal you have a higher propensity for hail claims? If you are willing, I would still work in the standard market but be proactive about a higher deductible for wind/hail, using a cosmetic roof endorsement, and providing some evidence of costs on the overall construction to ease the replacement concerns. Good luck.