American Family

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Randall Williams
Insurance Journal Fan

American Family

Post by Randall Williams »

Is anyone familiar with American Family Ins. and why they would require a test of only one family member (the father 56 yrs. old) out of four people that are applying for health ins. The appliciant has no health history at all. Non smoker/ non drinker.

The client is leary to take a blood and urine test and feels that it is a fishing expedition to find something. Why wouldn't the wife be required to submit to tests (age 43 yrs.). Nothing on his application should have triggered a test like this!

Thanks,
RBW
kevinraz
Insurance Journal Addict

Health Exam

Post by kevinraz »

Randall, I've been out of the health side of the biz for a few years but I'm thinking it's his age.
JoeIns
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by JoeIns »

Get a "Clue report" :P :lol:

All joking aside. Regardless of which company you are going with for individual life and health they will have access to a medical clue report that shows his previous medical records. Even information that was put in a life and health application within the last seven years.

Some states have different laws regarding non-discrimination for medical status however I am only familiar with those that apply to group coverage. Not individual.

You have the right to know whats in your personal report.

http://www.mib.com/html/request_your_record.html

Have your father take a look and see if thats what could be the problem.

But more than likely kevinraz is correct. There are different requirements for life/health policies. Each company has a chart that shows what is required prior to binding based on age.

Hope that helped. G-luck
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

They have the same business model as farmers and statefarm, and do a ton of business in AZ, NV.
And yes every single company that issue true life insurance to any one over 30 years of age is going to give blood and urine. There is absolutely no way around it...your mis-understanding the underwriter all four people will give eventually. That is if there asking for $150,000 coverage or more of true life insurance on each individual, not this accidental grap.
swoodworth
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by swoodworth »

Andrew,

On the issue of health insurance. I am a former agent as well as former agency trainer for AmFam. Not having access to the app info, my guess is the adult father in 50's either hasn't had any issues and probably hasn't been to the doctor in awhile or has something that showed up on a record requiring for clarification

.....only speculation, but the company would be hesistant to issue a policy without knowing more on father, which I think is understandable.