Homeowners Nonrenewal Legality/ethical Question

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
vtlclan
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by vtlclan »

Hello . I live in texas and am insured by allstate (11years) homeowners and auto policies. About 10 months ago i had a allstate inspector out to look at my roof for hail damage and he said there was no hail damage on my roof. I contacted allstate for a second opinion on this roof and who do they send out? The same inspector !! This time i had my roofer meet with him as was suggested by allstate and the inspector came to the same conclusion. Only this time he said he was going to submit an underwriters letter to allstate to get them to drop me for having an old roof. This was the first time i have ever had anyone out to look at my roof and have had no roof leaks whatsoever. Lo and behold the other day i recieve this letter of nonrenewal from allstate saying that the damage to my roof was the reason they were going to nonrenew. What damage? The inspector twice said there was no damage!! My question is this . Can they legally do this to me and what are my legal options? Also will this hurt my chances of getting insurance on another home in the very near future as we are getting ready to sell this house? The nonrenewal letter was also sent to my mortgage company.
Confused in texas!!
blueridgeins
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by blueridgeins »

While many of us in this forum could answer your question or offer advise, this is (in my opinion) an issue which would be better answered by your States Department of Insurance. One of their many functions is to assist with disputes/complaints, etc.
happygirl53
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by happygirl53 »

It sounds like your roof is damaged and that the inspector determined it to be normal wear/tear, not hail. In which case there is no coverage but they can require you to replace your roof if you want to keep your policy. What type of roof do you have and how old is it?