GL on mobile home erection contractor

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

GL on mobile home erection contractor

Post by Rob »

Mobile home assemblers have a risk of damaging the home while assembly/erecting it and it stands to reason that it would be excluded under the c/c/c exclusion in the GL policy (unless there is some "exception" that I am missing). So, can you think of any reason why the mobile home dealer would require the mobile home contractor to carry GL and not even request to be named as additional insured? Would an "all risk" installation floater cover damage to the mobile home if while erecting it, it collapsed and say, one of the walls broke? :?
Rlevine
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: GL on mobile home erection contractor

Post by Rlevine »

Rob,
This risk has similar coverage concerns as an Auto Mfg, Gargage risk or a Marina/Boat operation. Without knowing the specifics of the business, my first question is who owns the Mobile Home. The CCC exclusion applies to Other Property in your care custody and control. If they still own it, I don't think it would.
A Marina would buy Marine Operators Legal Liability and a Garage risk would buy Garage Keepers Legal Liability to cover losses to customers property in the CCC.
If the Mobile Home Body is considered a vehicle, this might be an approach. Why make examples up, I would recommend that MH Dealer to require coverage from the MH Contractor.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

Rlevine wrote:Rob,
This risk has similar coverage concerns as an Auto Mfg, Gargage risk or a Marina/Boat operation. Without knowing the specifics of the business, my first question is who owns the Mobile Home. The CCC exclusion applies to Other Property in your care custody and control. If they still own it, I don't think it would.
A Marina would buy Marine Operators Legal Liability and a Garage risk would buy Garage Keepers Legal Liability to cover losses to customers property in the CCC.
If the Mobile Home Body is considered a vehicle, this might be an approach. Why make examples up, I would recommend that MH Dealer to require coverage from the MH Contractor.
The risk does not own the mobile homes. The mobile home is not considered a vehicle.

So....we have a gap in the GL still.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

If I am reading your original question correctly, you are wondering why the mobile home dealer would require GL but not All Risk Installation coverage? I am going to guess it's because if the home is being installed, it's been purchased by a private owner, and the dealer probably doesn't care about damage to the home at that point. Would the home buyer's all risk policy cover damage to it while it is being installed?
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

LadyBroker wrote:If I am reading your original question correctly, you are wondering why the mobile home dealer would require GL but not All Risk Installation coverage? I am going to guess it's because if the home is being installed, it's been purchased by a private owner, and the dealer probably doesn't care about damage to the home at that point. Would the home buyer's all risk policy cover damage to it while it is being installed?
Well, whether the private owner has purchased insurance on it at that point is something I'll need to find out.

The original premise of my question is partly why would the dealer require GL (especially when they are not requesting to be named as additional insured so I see no benefit to them, only to the policyholder) and also to figure out how to fill the gap for the policy holder. He has had insurance forever and I'm the first one to tell him about the CCC exclusion and get the "you mean to tell me that this policy won't cover the damage to the home while we're installing it?" question. Nope, and I recommend an installation floater, Mr. Customer, please sign this recommendation here.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

I see your point now....I wasn't registering the lack of Additional Insured endorsement.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
MassAgent
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by MassAgent »

Rob,
The dealer may need coverage verification for premium audit purposes. Without a certificate of liability insurance, the carrier can charge the sub's cost as "payroll" under the carpentry class, which carries a much hire rate than the "total cost" rate under the insured sub classification. The dealer's carrier may not require additional insured status to the dealer for the insured sub class to apply - it is the carrier's discretion.