Is Navigator the best carrier for GC?

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Is Navigator the best carrier for GC?

Post by InsAgentSF »

I lost one GC to Navigator. GC was building Commercial properties and had 85% sub out. Is there a carrier better then Navigator?
simiinsuranceguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by simiinsuranceguy »

Try James River, North American Capacity or Gemini. Just did a risk with James River, building parking lots, 100% subbed. VERY competitive pricing.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

James River has a pretty restrictive form, you may want to read very carefully their Additional Insured endorsement, and their coverage triggers. Gemini is a good carrier, however, does not offer the CG2010 1185. Navigators does. This is a huge selling point.

It's not just price. Do your clients a favor and read the forms....when there is a loss, you don't want to have to tell your client they could have been covered for a few dollars more.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

So in other words Navigator IS the best?
simiinsuranceguy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by simiinsuranceguy »

No, not necessarily. While the James River form is somewhat more restrictive, if you properly explain the form to the insured (which it seems alot of Brokers do not do) you can let them make a decision based on that information. Allow them to be informed decision makers.
Regarding Gemini and the CG2010 1185 AI Form, very few entities are asking for that form any more. I have over 500 contractors and we receive maybe 2-3 requestes for the 1185 Form per year. When we do receive those few requestes, we send what is available on the insured's policy and that ALWAYS is accepted.
EYES WIDE OPEN
AlstonCPCU
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AlstonCPCU »

CG2010 1185 is primarily requested by homebuilders or Commercial GCs from their subcontractors. I would make sure whichever form you are using for the GL allows coverage for completed work by subcontractors. Make sure CG2294 is not on there.
doyourhomework
Insurance Journal Addict

Simply Put

Post by doyourhomework »

James River's has great pricing but [1] has a real problem with contractual liability; and [2] their rating of A- is chancy given that many munies require min A, 7.

For the money, the best GC on the market is Landmark as they rate on Payroll and the convert the Premium to Gross Receipts. Their min prem is stiff but if your GC has a low inhouse payroll the prem is worth it because of [1] their rating; [2] their rating method;. [3] they give the blanket 2010 1185 and Blanket Waiver; [4] they can do a 2MM Prod Agg; and [5] they are open to the strange muny endts in CA.

For my comml GC accounts Landmark is the no worry, no BS market. I don't like to place a GC [or for that matter, any other contractor] in a market that makes securing potential endts a possibility. I prefer probabilities or sure things. You get what you pay for....and insureds should not have to pay later for grief.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

FYI - Landmark's minimum policy premium is $15,000 for their primary capacity, and $10,000 for their excess capacity. As well, their excess is written on admitted paper.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

GC markets

Post by volstrike3 »

I agree with ladybroker and doyourhomework,

Landmark is the best market for Commercial GC's. I have a few larger guys placed with Zurich but my guys under $25 mil in sales are with Landmark or Liberty Surplus.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: GC markets

Post by InsAgentSF »

Thank you. Who is the MGA for Landmark?
doyourhomework
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by doyourhomework »

Landmark works with wholesalers whom they appoint. If you would like me to work with you forward your original message with contact information to cmi_mga@yahoo.com and I will call you.