CA - Workers Comp. for Trucking firm w/bad MVR's

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
insurance4ever
Insurance Journal Fan

CA - Workers Comp. for Trucking firm w/bad MVR's

Post by insurance4ever »

I have a trucking company with $400,000 in payroll, no prior WC coverage, no losses, 9 drivers with NOT very good MVR’s. Class code 7219 that hauls primarily produce with a 200 miles radius based in Los Angeles, California only. This applicant was rejected by AIG and more recently by Praetorian Insurance Company due to the fact most drivers’ MVRs have more than 3 combined moving violations. Some of them have 6-7 moving violations and a couple of them 1 or 2 accidents.
I have tried several MGA's and it seems hard to place. I recently sent it to State Compensation Fund but it takes several weeks for them to respond. Any suggestion or market? Thank you.
mccluney
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CA - Workers Comp. for Trucking firm w/bad MVR's

Post by mccluney »

State Fund usually quotes same day if you hand carry the app. I charge an additional broker fee for this type of service.
If you use SCIF website to e-mail application. You can usually wait one day and find out who is the assigned underwriter and talk to the underwriter. I have never waited two weeks for a quote.
SFOInsuranceLady
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by SFOInsuranceLady »

Try Elementary Insurance Brokers in Long Beach, CA. Ask for Chris or Isobel. Phone number is (562)290-8201. They only write Worker's Comnpensation Coverage. if it doesn't fit into one of their markets, they have access to State Fund. Turn-around time for State Fund has been 5-7 business days lately....no longer 5-7 months! :) Tell them "Vita" referred you.
Good luck!
jimmyr1978
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jimmyr1978 »

insurance4ever wrote:I have a trucking company with $400,000 in payroll, no prior WC coverage, no losses, 9 drivers with NOT very good MVR’s. Class code 7219 that hauls primarily produce with a 200 miles radius based in Los Angeles, California only. This applicant was rejected by AIG and more recently by Praetorian Insurance Company due to the fact most drivers’ MVRs have more than 3 combined moving violations. Some of them have 6-7 moving violations and a couple of them 1 or 2 accidents.
I have tried several MGA's and it seems hard to place. I recently sent it to State Compensation Fund but it takes several weeks for them to respond. Any suggestion or market? Thank you.
It's these types of trucking companies that give the entire industry a bad name (and kill people on the roads). Do your client, yourself, and the general public a favor - make a risk management/safety/driver training program a mandatory part of your service agreement with the insured. They need to immediately implement a strict no-excuses moving violation policy. One strike = suspension without pay. Second strike = immediate termination. Help your client put it in writing, and make every driver sign it, and then stick it in their DOT file.