Vacant Homes

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
AgentMe
Insurance Journal Fan

Vacant Homes

Post by AgentMe »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a company I can use to place vacant homes with. I tried one company but their premiums seem to be quite high. Im pretty new to this, so it could be that in general vacant homes are pretty expensive to insure. I'd like to hear back from some of your experiences with insuring vacant homes. I should add that I came across this problem with a client who is currently paying a policy that is rated as an occupied landlord policy. The premium is roughly $900. The quote I ended up with was about $2,000.00. Thanks in advance for your feed back.

Sincerely,

AgentMe
Rob Weidert
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Vacant Homes

Post by Rob Weidert »

What state?
marydavis
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by marydavis »

I am in Louisiana and I use Foremost Ins. Group. They will write this for a year with a minimum premium earned of $250.00. so if the insured pays in full they will receive an unearned premium back. They will write this on a Dwelling 1 policy only and the house has to have the intent to sell and cannot be vacant for more than 24 months prior to the effective date of the policy and been with out coverage for more than 12 months prior to the effective date.

Vacant homes are at a higher exposure so some companies only offer 3 or 6 month policies but Foremost does write a 12month. Good Luck!!
debbie
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by debbie »

Try Tapco Underwriters (800)418-2726. I believe they write in most states and they provide quotes over the phone and email all paperwork to you immediately. They offer policy terms from 1 month to 12 months, and the minimum earned % depends on the length of the policy term. They are great to work with! Vacant dwelling policies are always going to be a lot more expensive than occupied dwellings, that's to be expected with any carrier.