Florida Independents

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

hawks
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Florida Independents

Post by hawks »

Hi

Has anyone heard anything about Bright way insurance agencies and hooking up with them? Thanks for your help
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

Kent:

Go ahead and apply for the license. Most states that require the appointment also allow 30-60 days for it to be posted.
Michael Trouillon
Greater Los Angeles area

Consultant/Trainer agency automation system

Industry since 82

Past: Compliance Mgr master pol pgm, Ops Mgr, Marketing Mgr, Account Mgr
kent1108
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by kent1108 »

Hi and thank you for your respone. The state of Florida will not allow me to apply for it without an appointment. I have tried.
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

Kent: that does not track with what my research shows. I have the 2009 Licensing & Surplus Lines Laws book from The National Underwriter and it clearly shows that you can obtain the license but can not transact business without the appointment.

Also at my previous agency we had a FL license but no appointment ... so I know it is possible. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding with the person you are speaking to at the DOI.
Michael Trouillon
Greater Los Angeles area

Consultant/Trainer agency automation system

Industry since 82

Past: Compliance Mgr master pol pgm, Ops Mgr, Marketing Mgr, Account Mgr
TheInsKid
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by TheInsKid »

An insurance company can only appoint an individual that has a license, they can not and will not appoint an individual without them having a license. Defeats the purpose of licensing, otherwise, they could appoint anyone. Not sure who you talked to at the In Dept but they have no clue.
IndyMischief

Post by IndyMischief »

If it's anything like Texas, you do have to have a company sponsor the license. Talk to the company that says you have been approved and tell them that you need them to sponsor your appointment. They should know what you mean if that's the case.
debr
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by debr »

I am a P&C agent in the Florida Panhandle. A coworker and I are starting a new agency. I am interested in contacting the Crosslet Company referred to in the post but I cannot find a website for them. Can you help? I did review information on both Great Florida and SmartChoice. Looks like accessing these markets may be the most efficient way to start, although we have many years of experience and a reputation in the area. Does the agreement prohibit you from using companies of your own that you have contracted with directly?
kent1108

Post by kent1108 »

I can tell you that Smart Choice does not prevent you from going outside their network and using your own companies. I too am interested in Crosslet as listed above but have also been unable to locate a website.
debr
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by debr »

The website for Crosslet is www.Crosslet.com. Good Luck!!