Switching gears

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

k5agent
Insurance Journal Fan

Switching gears

Post by k5agent »

OK, I am curious. How does a person jump to the next level from being an account manager to a producer??? I currently have twenty years experience in personal/commercial accounts under $10K. How do you go from one level to the next? I have my CIC designation, am extremely consistent in bringing in and maintaining a good book of business. I can bring in clients ranging from $500 to a $20-$25K account size. Any suggestions of how to get to that next level?? I don't want to become stagnant!
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Switching gears

Post by Big Dog »

Find an agency that's willing to help you get to that level. IMHO, the insurance industry needs more producers that actually understand insurance coverages and can clearly explain them to a client.

If the current agency you work for isn't willing to, or doesn't have the capabilities to help you become a producer, it's time to look elsewhere. There are many regional agencies that have sound programs in place to help you achieve this goal.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Switching gears

Post by scott »

1. Stop referring to account size in terms of premium. Revenue is the money your agency keeps. It's how the big boys talk. It tells your boss that you understand at least some of the economics of an agency. (Perception, perception, perception)

2. Speaking of perception... You have to change the way the leadership of the agency sees you. A producer makes it rain. Start making it pour kitties and puppies. Show how the accounts under your care are growing in value to the agency. Round out what you have and bring in new clients.

3. Moving to another agency may be the fastest way to get to the producer title as there are no perceptions that you are not a salesperson. There's that word, "perception" again. You'll have to make a judgment of your longterm potential at your current agency.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant