Help For New Independent Agent!

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Baugh
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Baugh »

I'm recently out of the captive agency and am now 100% independent. I've got a contract or two, but not enough to satisfy my p&c market, much less any other market.

I've read the comments on insurance noodle, my question is what would be the best advice for me to do until i'm established enough to contract with leading carriers?
robalfan
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by robalfan »

You have to realize that you will probably be unable to place preferred auto and homeowners business until you obtain a leading carrier. So look for good MGAs and surplus lines brokers. They should be able to offer you markets for small commercial business. You can concentrate on new business ventures (if you look you should be able to find lead sources for the latter) which the preferred carriers do not want. If you are diligent, you will be developing a book of business that preferred carriers will be interested in and thus obtain good appointments. It all takes time, at least a year and probably two. Good luck.

Robalfan
csr@ramt.biz
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by csr@ramt.biz »

What state are you located in?
Baugh
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Baugh »

i have a contract with aig, they have great rates on preferred and non-standard markets...but have no home-owner contract at all. I'm in Missouri and have been in the captive market for 3 years or so.
holagy1
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by holagy1 »

We struggled for 5 years trying to get and then keep the
well known carriers. Finally decided to join SmartChoice.
It is the best program we found after many hours of research.
Less restrictive. More control for me.
We now have Safeco MetLife AIG The Hartford.
They also have Travelers, Unitrin and a few others depending
on the state. Not encouraging you to make the move unless
you do the research and decide on your own but they have
been Super to work with and help.
Also added a Tax Service with Rapid Refund that is part of their
program as well.
Hope this helps. I feel your pain after years of the same.
Thanks/Tennessee
ewguva
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by ewguva »

if you do your homework you will find out about agentsecure.

take a look at http://www.agentsecure.com. this program gives you access to Hartford, Safeco, AIG, Chubb, Zurich, CNA, Philadelphia for small and middle market commercial.

quotes come back online in 5 minutes on average...NOT 24 hours or two days like most wholesalers out there.

competitive commission schedule but most important you own the business and have the right to gain access to your own carrier contracts using the business produced with agentsecure. they will even help you when you are ready to roll your book.