Producer

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

I was wondering how much in premiums a first year producer usually brings in. I have been doing it for 3 months and have got 25,000 in premiums and was wondering if that is awful. I live in Ohio .
jamesclark
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jamesclark »

I think it all depends. I am a first year producer and will do in excess of 35k in revenue (not sure TP). My firm gives quite a few resources to help me with my job though.
tsorrels
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by tsorrels »

I think that you should STOP counting PREMIUM and start counting REVENUE. What does that $25,000 in premium bring you? About $3250 in REVENUE (at an average 13%) .........IF it stays on the books for a year......if NOT...give back the commissions (chargebacks) Ohio is NOT a FEE state.....so, how much do you make on "add-on" products?

Just remember FOUR DIRECTIONS......if your INcome, is less than your OUTgo, your UPkeep leads to your DOWNfall.......

Hope this helps!
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Tsorrels, hit the nail on the head, count revenue ! You need capital in this business your now marketing your self I hope you have some saving, or and agreement with your agency. Why would a client want to do business with you. Let see better premium for protection. You need lots of markets ( carriers). Number one go after a particular program or silo or avenue what ever you want to call it. And get good at it. Be number one. OK you don't know what I'm talking about. Find your self a nitch market. Dry cleaners, Machine shops, garage repair, Restaurant, retail store, walk in and meet them. Forget about cold calling business by phone. There you have it.
FYI, I have been doing this business for 15 years, I have help many producers. I go after three nitch markets and get great referral base, and ask for a referral. My new business small acount under $15,000 premium per policy is about 500,000 collect or because of my split with the agency is about 40,000 year. Good luck :D
medsup-erhero
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by medsup-erhero »

I am a producer in Ohio as well. I only have about $18,000 in permiums so far, as for revenue its quite slow as you can imagine, I write medicare supplements, but am having some problems getting into the groove of things.I used to sell wireless phones and was quite good at it, I thought this would be a natural evolution.What i was wondering is what type of training do other L/H companies offer? With the branch i am at I followed someone for about 2 weeks and than went out on my own...but i know im missing something........I have no trouble with clients just the close....any suggestions on which companies offer the best training?
carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

I am actually in p&c. I will probably get my life and health this year and maybe series 6. I feel the same way I just got thrown in their in sept. and have been doing it all with no training. I have a lot of x dates. I used to be an account manager at a beer distributor so I know how to sell. The problem is I just started and have to go get my own leads. Everyone says it takes time. People getting 25,000 in revenue their first year, I do not know how they are doing it unless the have many leads and are advertised well. Anyway I enjoy it have a good boss and will keeping working hard. It sometimes makes me inpatient when I don't have something to write
medsup-erhero
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by medsup-erhero »

I write for branch office in cleveland, They do provide leads which is nice. I find I always have something to do...However when im infront of a prospect it seems that the Hmo Competition is tough. I often have to explain the differances between Hmo's and Supplements. That fine because i did pay attention to L/H class. What really sucks however is my branch is in cleveland and i am in Youngstown. If i want any real help I have to drive to cleveland to sit with a trainer. They are opening a branch in youngstown in 2 weeks, but i am told by the cleveland branch manager that i cannot transfere to youngstown. Thats dumb. Im a new agent whose oppurtunity in this buissness is being curtailed because of office politics. Time to find a new company????
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

The posts under this thread remind me of many many discussions I have had with agency owners over the years.

I have some 22 years in commercial lines P&C as account manager and the like. So obviously I know my coverages and markets and exposures.

I would love to move to the sales side....but no agency owner will pay me a base that allows me to live at anywhere near the level I have become accoustomed to. They want to treat me just like the new to the industry person...toss them a low base and see where it goes.

Obviously I understand and agree with the "keep them hungry" theory...but as I have said to owners...."is the present system working?" They nearly always answer no..but are not willing to do anything different!

I assert that they have to pay somone to train the new person, and then pretty much have to babysit them while they learn the ropes...but if they take someone who already has the technical background they already have a huge advantage....

But here I wait still trying to find that one agency owner who wants to change the system and do things different....
Michael Trouillon
Greater Los Angeles area

Consultant/Trainer agency automation system

Industry since 82

Past: Compliance Mgr master pol pgm, Ops Mgr, Marketing Mgr, Account Mgr
ctan@dcmpower
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ctan@dcmpower »

Hello,

We might be able to help you with your New Business/ Revenue Goals.

We help our clients write more new commercial / benefit accounts. We do this by providing them with pre-qualified appointments & leads.

Read what our clients are saying about us.
copy this on your internet browser
<a href='http://www.dcmpower.com/Broadcast%20Sept1%2004.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.dcmpower.com/Broadcast%20Sept1%2004.htm</a>

Give me a call if you have any questions.

Have a great day

Charlie Tan
DCM,Inc.
800-233-5277 ext 212