Entertainment broker

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Funsurance
Insurance Journal Fan

Entertainment broker

Post by Funsurance »

I am currently a broker for a large company and I would like to eventually get into Entertainment brokering. What are some of the prerequisites that this group looks for? Are there any classes that I can take (after, ARM and CPCU) which I will have by that time? How does one get into this business area?
Rainmaker
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Entertainment broker

Post by Rainmaker »

Congratulations on having your eye on a specialty you seem eager to pursue. I am sure google can help you find brokers that specialize in this area, and would encourage you to reach out to them and let them know your plans and ask for guidance. I believe AON has a large practice group in this area. I also believe DeWitt-Stern does some work in this area as well.

Good luck!
David E. Estrada
Founder & Managing Director
Rainmaker Advisory LLC
Portland, Oregon
www.rainmakeradvisory.com
DarrenR
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by DarrenR »

There aren't really any classes to take. You have to learn it on the job. The (un)fun part is that the entertainment industry does not work like other types of businesses, and as a result, you are asked to do things (many of which are impossible or simply illegal) on the insurance side that you would never be asked for when insuring other industries. But I guess that's what makes it challenging and interesting.
TRacer
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by TRacer »

When I worked with EBI in West Los Angeles, it got their attention that I had prior experience in the television and film industry on the post-production side so I already understood many of the terms. You might see if there is a trainee or intern-type position available; I would look in West LA or San Diego.

Recommendation: watch the credits at the end of cinematic films; you will see the broker credited toward the end. :idea:
Morgan Hayden, CPCU CLU ChFC ARe AIS