Would joining both PIA and IIAB be redundant?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

John J90
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Would joining both PIA and IIAB be redundant?

Post by John J90 »

I am very curious to hear opinions on whether it would be redundant for me to join both the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents (PIA) in addition to the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers (IIAB). It seems that they both offer the same services/benefits.

Does one provide, or do something better, that the other does not?
Besides getting a discount on Errors & Omissionss coverage, I do not see a very compelling reason why I should join either one. What am I missing?
jckspann
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Would joining both PIA and IIAB be redundant?

Post by jckspann »

Our agency belongs to both associations, although the dual membership is more because our founder was a long time state and national director of one of them. If not for that we would only have a single membership. I not sure if you are currently a member of one association and just thinking about the other one, or if you do not currently belong to either.

What you are missing is a number of things if you do not belong to either association. First, a quality state and national association represents your interest -- and that of your clients -- through the political process on a State and Federal level. The influence that staff members can have when they meet with Members of Congress or a state legislative body is critically important to balance the efforts of those that oppose and threaten our industry and independent agents. I suggest that you ask both associations how many staff employees they have as registered lobbyists on both the State and Federal level.

Another extremely important membership benefit would be the educational opportunities that are available for you and your employees. I suggest that you have the state assocations provide you with a list of their 2011 educational programs to evaluate them.

Unquestionably, of great value is the E&O program, but that is not enough to justify membership. Often overlooked is the access to programs and services that are exclusive to association members. You should check out the IIABA Big I Market's products that are available. They can be of great help -- especially to a small agency that might otherwise not be able to place business with a carrier because they normally only contract with a broker or large agency.

The question for you to determine is which association can help your agency grow and prosper? Good Luck!