Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Fraud

Post by InsAgentSF »

To my knowledge Acord forms are being typed in for years :) Where have you been
Forum Reader
Insurance Journal Addict

Handwriting claim forms

Post by Forum Reader »

Nowadays most reporting is done via phone call and the agent or the insurer fills in the information into a computer system. At some point the insured probably completes some type of statement, proof of loss, listing of damaged goods, etc. that may be handwritten or typewritten.

Claims can also be reported to insurers via websites.
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

if u wish to find out if a claim involves fraud, why does handwriting matter? are u talkin about life insurance? please be more specific.
Forum Reader
Insurance Journal Addict

Fraud

Post by Forum Reader »

One would think that handwriting is used to tie to fraud to a specific individual
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

First of all, if you are trying to link a murder case with a life insurance policy, I would agree. However, there's no regulation that requires handwriting except the signature.
Forum Reader
Insurance Journal Addict

Fraud

Post by Forum Reader »

I think the original writer was just trying to determine if handwriting analysis could play a role in claims fraud investigations, thus was asking if any forms were ever handwritten.
Claims
Insurance Journal Fan

Fraud

Post by Claims »

I've been in the P&C claims for over 30 years. I can tell you in that period of time that I have never used, nor have I seen handwriting analysis used to identify or prosecute fraud.

Our investigative efforts seek issues that are more objective and undeniable in a court of law. For example our national database here in the U.S. can hit on a variety of factors such as aka's, phone numbers, etc. Simple yet fatal mistakes.

The bottom line? Common sense or the lack of it which leads to greed which leads to undenibale mistakes which leads to apprehension.
bigbear5033
Insurance Journal Fan

Fraud

Post by bigbear5033 »

I am an attorney who frequently handles fraud investigations. Handwriting analysis alone is not used that frequently in fraud investigations, although there is still generally a requirement that insureds sign a proof of loss or personal property inventories. More useful is questioned document examinations -- being able to demonstrate that a document purportedly signed in 2000 was signed with ink that was not manufactured until 2004, for example. Dummied up documents are much more frequently encountered than forged signatures.
cgb
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by cgb »

I think you're running into cultural differences. While handwriting analysis may be acceptable in Asia, in the US it's not generally held as proof of anything. The company has to have concrete facts to prove fraud. Handwriting analysis is something teens pay a few bucks for at the state fair for fun.

The insurance company has to prove that the auto loss happened before the policy was taken out and not after, or that the car was not stolen, the insured hid it and burned it to collect the money. Statements from witnesses, the cause of the fire of the vehicle, was there forced entry, etc. serve the company much better than handwriting analysis. The company isn't going to spend time and money on something that won't hold up in court, bottom line.
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

discreet. I hate to do this but I think you'll witness more comprehensive discussion at http://www.claimspages.com Then click DISCUSS which is much like this forum.

It's a site where adjusters/investigators exchange info.

Happy investigating and good luck.