carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Sentry Insurance

Post by carterrud »

Are they a good company to work for
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

My brother worked for them a few years back and got burned out. They were a fairly good place to work if you were new to the business. They started you with a salary and reduced it by 1/48 per month over a 4 year period. This gave you time to learn the business and not starve.

Once he was there for a while, they just kept pushing and pushing and pushing. If he sold 8 policies in a month they said why didn't you sell 12. If he sold 12 they said why didn't you sell 16 etc . . .

I think their philosphy is to drive hard and you really need to be more of a salesman than an insurance professional in order to survive.

Good luck!!
CObroker
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by CObroker »

What type of position are you considering at Sentry and where will you be located?

I worked for them for 7 years as a Account Exec (Sentry uses a different title) and 3 years as an Account Exec for a large national broker.
carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

The position will be in Ohio as a Sales Rep
CObroker

Post by CObroker »

Sentry has 4 different types of producers not including national accounts.

1) Bop's- Small package policies
2) Commercial- Larger accounts generally $10,000 - $300,000+ premium
3) Personal Lines
4) Dealer Operations- Car dealerships & Farm equipment dealers

Each is setup different (compensation, production requirements, types of accounts written.) Please be more specific. :)
carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

BOP'S
CObroker

Post by CObroker »

PM sent

For anyone else...

Sentry is an excellent company that offers great benefits and all sales positions come with a company car and paid expenses.

They are old school on training. In fact I spent 7 weeks at their home office over the years in continuing ed (Sales & Product knowledge)

Each position requires a minimum # of quotes and sales per quarter. They market to a very select few industries but have excellent pricing and coverage in what they will write. They are A+ rated mutual company.

I left because of the limited types of accounts you can write and no chance for owning your book as you are a direct writer (employee)

But I would definetly hire a successfull former Sentry agent.

Hope that helps.