Paperless Agency

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

IL Agent
Insurance Journal Fan

Paperless Agency

Post by IL Agent »

What are some of the advantages v. disadvantages others face when their agency operates paperless? Currently using Applied System but No client files, No dec sheets, etc...

Any advice or suggestions for succeeding with this type of operation would be appreciated.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

We are also on Applied Systems WinTam v8.1. The new 8.x version includes Barcoding which is a part of going paperless.

We plan on being as paperless as possible starting 1/1/07. We have installed dual monitors on all desks (a must).

There seem to be a lot of benefits as far as storage of dead files (we won't have any eventually) and day to day file handling.

There is a lot of info on ASCnet newsgroups if you are a member of the users group. There are a lot of options to consider.

Good Luck!!
KJOBF
Insurance Journal Fan

Paperless Agency

Post by KJOBF »

Our Agency is also on Applied's TAM System...and we switched to paperless system about 2 years ago. After getting bogged down in categories/subcategories for the past year, our Agency made the decision to purchase the Paperwise System for our Scanning/Attachments. Paperwise does integrate with Applied. I would definitely look into it for your Agency. It is an easier System to manage than just going to Scanning and using the Attachment System under TAM.

We no longer use paper files and with Paperwise, you can have your full policies attached to the Client File with bookmarks for the important pages. All of your endorsements are filed right with the policy.
jlarosa
Insurance Journal Fan

Paperless Agency

Post by jlarosa »

Both agencies I've worked for in the past were paperless. The first agency used Special Agent for the agency management system and DocStar as the scanning system. The second agency used Special Agent for the management system and Apres (ET File) for the scanning system.

In both offices I used the scanning system as literally a virtual file cabinet that I never went into unless I had to look up old information (ie a price on an RMV1, a letter I sent to an insured, a confirmation I had an insured sign to delete coverage, etc). The agency management system was what I used to answer all of my insureds questions. We downloaded every day so we had the most up to date dec page in the system.

Of course we still had paper on our desk. If I was working on something I had the paper on my desk (a transfer of vehicle, homeowners application I was working on).

The key is a good management system. You should be able to answer almost all of your insureds questions by looking at your management system. The scanning system is a way to get rid of file cabinets. There would be days that I wouldn't even go into the scanning system because I didn't need to look up any old info.

They are certainly worth it because they get rid of file cabinets, make your office look neater and more under control but don't think of it as your day to day agency management system. If you're still going back to files to look things up, maybe you should look into a different management system.