Ethics Case Discussion

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Interesting replies.

March is CPCU Ethics Awareness Month. A variety of resources are available at http://www.cpcusociety.org/page/65786/.

I find these discussions interesting and informative. They give me the opportunity to see the perspective of others. I like being exposed to different points of view.

To me, these discussions are constructive, informative, and much more interesting than ad hominem attacks.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
Porter
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Porter »

Ok Scott I will bite. What would you do?
Always Be Closing!
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

I don't claim to have the right answer. I'm not sure, in a case like this, there is one right answer.

First we have to look at facts. She has admitted gaming the system. She has told us that the Dr is going along - we have no evidence this is true. We know only what she told us.

I agree with the comments about the agent's obligation to the insurer - You have an obligation, as an agent, to the insurance company to protect their assets.

I believe I would explain to my friend and his wife - together so there are no miscommunications - that they have put me in a terrible spot - loyalty to them as friends and fidelity to my insurance company. I would make it clear that what she described as her actions are fraud and illegal. I would make it clear that the fact they told me puts my livelihood at risk.

I would tell them that if she is no longer injured and can work that she must return to work immediately. If she does not return to work I would tell the couple that I have no option but to report the conversation to the insurance company and request that an independent medical exam be ordered to judge her fitness for work.

It goes without saying that the friendship is over.

What about the issue of the agent's responsibility to the client? Must you tell the client?

What if you are a producer in a larger agency? Would you tell your boss?
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
Porter
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Porter »

Scott,

I just figured out what I would do if a situation like this happened to me. I would send you and email and ask what to do.

Porter
Always Be Closing!
etimer
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by etimer »

And there you go, problem solved.

Porter I like your tag line....always be closing. I've been in sales since 1975 or 74..no was that 76? Anyhow, a long time. My sisters are in sales, my brother-in-laws are in sales, my mother was in sales. I understand about closing and none of us came from the cloth of constant pestering to close. The velvet touch is a good motto.

Far too many people think to be successful in sales you must be an obnoxious salesperson.
Porter wrote:Scott,

I just figured out what I would do if a situation like this happened to me. I would send you and email and ask what to do.

Porter
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

etimer wrote: Far too many people think to be successful in sales you must be an obnoxious salesperson.
Whenever I'm shopping at a place with commissioned salespeople, I always pay attention to how they sell. I have been doing a lot of furniture shopping lately so I've had a lot of good opportunities to observe. Out of the 3 salespeople my wife and I actually bought stuff from, I have noticed that they were all low to no pressure salespeople. They were there to help us as consultants, and never pressured us to buy anything. The last salesman went above and beyond to help us out, and never tried to push us towards one thing or another. He was busy, and ended up selling the same chair set to two couples at once. So in the span of a half hour, he probably sold $7,000 worth of furniture. All the while, never putting any pressure on us at all. I was very impressed! I will never buy from an obnoxious salesperson. Ever.
etimer
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by etimer »

Well that is how sales are done and I've always appreciated that type of person. Why do people think sales people are pushy? Experienced, long term sales people know that pushy gets you no where except, staring out the client walking away.

I've never bought from an obnoxious salesperson.
independent guy wrote:
etimer wrote: Far too many people think to be successful in sales you must be an obnoxious salesperson.
Whenever I'm shopping at a place with commissioned salespeople, I always pay attention to how they sell. I have been doing a lot of furniture shopping lately so I've had a lot of good opportunities to observe. Out of the 3 salespeople my wife and I actually bought stuff from, I have noticed that they were all low to no pressure salespeople. They were there to help us as consultants, and never pressured us to buy anything. The last salesman went above and beyond to help us out, and never tried to push us towards one thing or another. He was busy, and ended up selling the same chair set to two couples at once. So in the span of a half hour, he probably sold $7,000 worth of furniture. All the while, never putting any pressure on us at all. I was very impressed! I will never buy from an obnoxious salesperson. Ever.