Physical damage on a trailer

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Physical damage on a trailer

Post by Rob »

Given the choice between insuring a contractors utility trailers on their inland marine policy or on their commercial auto policy, which would you choose (assume no difference in premium)?
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

Inland Marine - broader coverage
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Hands down - inland marine.
Forum Reader
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Forum Reader »

Actually, there is hardly ever any coverage broader that auto physical damage - Collision plus Other Than Collision (comprehensive.) It's as close to "all risk" as you get. Look at the exclusions under auto phys damage as opposed to inland marine and I think you'll see that in most cases, your auto PD is broader.
darnovak
Insurance Journal Addict

Read the policy forms and endorsements

Post by darnovak »

I just love these "What if...." questions and the "instant" pat answers. One must ALWAYS read the policy forms, coverage parts, and endorsements before answering any of these type of inquiries. One also has to consider that different carriers use different forms (ISO forms, custom forms, etc). So the first answer you give is "Depends...... let me examine all of the applicable policy forms and endorsements." I would also ask "What type of physical damage are we dealing with here?" Radioactive contamination? Volcanic eruption? Damage by vermin? Rot? Temperature change? Change in humidity? Change in air pressure? Fading? Structural failure? Damage caused by an owned vehicle? Damage caused by an unowned vehicle operated by a named insured? And on and on.....etc. Isn't this business great? Yes, sometimes I sit by the window staring out into the blue sky dreaming up nightmare scenarios that may or may not be covered by insurance. Gotta go now.... I hear them approaching and I just know they have the large net this time. Regards, Dar Novak
Master U/W'er
Insurance Journal Fan

contractors trailer IM vs APHYSD

Post by Master U/W'er »

One more question to add to the analysis. One of the key items to consider is valuation? How will the trailer be valued at time of loss? Aphysd is ACV, while IM may be replacement cost.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

However, the inland marine underwriter advised there is no coverage while hooked up to the vehicle. So at this point, it seems that coverage is broader if the trailer is listed on the commercial auto policy.