Good places to get a job in the insurance industry

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

prezzoo
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Good places to get a job in the insurance industry

Post by prezzoo »

Big Dog wrote:
prezzoo wrote:Question: does anyone know what the producer hiring process is like for the alphabet houses? how do they replace aging producers?
Places like Aon, Marsh and Willis are hiring wet-behind-the-ears college gradgatates (misspelled on purpose) and are trying to quickly educate them on what "risk management" is all about. At the same time, they're either firing or finding ways to make the "seasoned" producers and account managers go away. (if you can guess, I used to work for one of these three, and have no respect for them because of how they treat their employees) :roll:

Personally, I'd recommend looking at working for a mid-sized regional agency rather than one of the alphabet houses. These are the places that actually take the time to understand their clients needs, and may even actually give a rip about you as an employee. Rather than being known by your employee ID number at one of the big houses, they actually know your first name at the regionals.
I used to work for a large national agency. Our approach was to hire young sales people, have them pound the phone book looking for 'organic' new business. But, even the best would lose the accounts a year later because those same insureds shopped every year.

With the Aon, Marsh, Willis type companies (writing 10k rev and up)how are their producers brought along? Do they bring young people along to work alongside an agent for 5 years until he retires? What does the succession plan look like? Are the commission levels going to be a lot higher, or do you end up splitting it with loss control, claims, the house, etc.?