Staffing

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

I was a marketing manager in a medium sized agency...and let me tell you ... I could very easily stonewall a producer or one of his/hers submissions!

The issue here is not the attitude of the producer...it is the attitude of the agency. A good sales person who is not permitted to talk to the underwriters and gets NO guidance, is not going to succeed.

I was also a producer at another similar sized agency...and I was stonewalled by the marketing dept. I saw the handwriting and got out fast! The marketing manager never knew it...but the large account that I sold just before leaving??? Well it was sold on my backdoor marketing with the carriers! I broke the rules and contacted the underwriter direct (who I already knew) and sold the account...but they also lost the account after I left when no one returned their calls.

Bottom line...if you want to succeed you need the support of the marketing and owner/managers. If they are not giving it to you...you can bet that they are not going to be happy with you down the line. Start looking for a good agency (age of agency has nothing to do with it), that has good management, good carrier/market relationships and go there!
carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

Thanks for all the responses. I guess the real problem with my agency is that they are a service center and not a sales center. What I mean is that they are worried more about keeping the accounts they have then trying to bring in new business. I am not saying renewals are not important but that doesn't help me at all. I might be a little impatient but I know the first couple years are what makes or breaks you in this industry.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

If you're looking for support staff (account managers, CSR's, whatever title you use), it is getting tougher as many are retiring, and very few people want to go into insurance.

As "one who was there", one of the biggest problems is that agencies are looking for the high caliber people, but aren't willing to pay a good wage, or do what's necessary to keep them.

Having worked for several "big name" agencies in the Los Angeles area, I can tell you very few of them are willing to take a look at how they treat their employees, and to carefully consider what it will take to retain them. Rather than being reactive, be proactive. Don't give your employees reasons to leave.

I wound up relocating with my current employer from Los Angeles to Houston at the same salary. I can tell you my salary goes a lot further here than it did in L.A.
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Get out of there

Post by volstrike3 »

You need to find a more sales driven agency. Let the old guys live off of their renewals, you never will.

Go to the most aggressive agency in your area and try to land a job. The competition among agents can really push you to excel.