dress code

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

dress code

Post by 92builder »

Fellas, I was wondering what rules everyone had here as far as men's dress code in the office. Is it shirt and tie or business casual? French cuffs or regular? Do you see that it makes any difference at all?
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

Wow out here in CA, we wear Board Shorts baby.............
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

In Texas, it's Levi's and a Stetson
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

I'm in IL.

Saturday I was at a wedding reception for a Bloomington/Normal cop, and overheard that when State Farm home office moved to dress casual, that it killed a couple suit & tie stores.

Pekin Insurance which is closeby is suit and tie still, however the fieldmen wear polos and khakis.

I wear suits when its cool, buttondowns/polos and khakis when its warm.

8)
VAAcctMgr
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Dress Code

Post by VAAcctMgr »

"¢ Walk and talk the part. "Dress for success"
Victoria860

Dress Code

Post by Victoria860 »

Not everyone in CA is wearing board shorts to work. Some of us do have to wear the normal business casual or <gasp> total business attire.
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

will Ok we wear board shorts or nothing at all 8) No just kidd'en dress casual, unless its and high end client then golf shorts and shirt and 14 sticks to then to the course.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

I always wear business casual. Hate wearing ties though :)
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

WOW! What a variety of answers, huh? Most out here are in business casual, but I'm choosing to run shirt and tie in my office. Thanks for the responses.

Now, go sell...
txinsurancemanager
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by txinsurancemanager »

C'mon ya'll.....do you seriously believe it's just Levis and Stetsons in Texas? Goin' on clyunt visits in mah pick-up with thuh gun rack? Well, maybe if you're going hunting with high level politicians in Texas, you should plan on wearing a vest.

The male agents I've seen in TX wear polos and dress pants, or sport shirt and tie. Often they leave a sports jacket in the office or car in case they need to spiff up for special client visits. Most of the agents I'm familiar with are commercial agents, which might make some difference.

Female agents wear co-ordinated skirted suits or pant suits; dressy slacks with more informal jackets or sweaters.

IMHO, if you want to be seen as a trusted advisor, you need to look like an "all business" professional. You never have to apologize for how you're dressed if you're dressed for success. I don't however think we should dress in noticeably expensive clothes because it really puts some people on the defensive in these relaxed days.

Yee Haw!
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

Dress code

Post by volstrike3 »

Business attire. I prefer to viewed as a professional just like my clients Banker, attorney and CPA. On casual friday I will wear a polo but I try not to schedule meetings on those days.

That being said, a nice looking polo is better than an ill fitting suit.
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

Men: Khakis or dress pants, dress shirt with no tie.

Ladies: Mini-skirts. Doesn't matter what you wear on top. Just wear min-skirts.

Oh, ladies, please don't wear pantyhose or socks with slippers or sandals.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

txinsurancemanager wrote: IMHO, if you want to be seen as a trusted advisor, you need to look like an "all business" professional. You never have to apologize for how you're dressed if you're dressed for success. I don't however think we should dress in noticeably expensive clothes because it really puts some people on the defensive in these relaxed days.
I think you should also dress to fit your clientelle. If I am going to be interacting with blue collar customers, then I wear a polo & khakis. If I'm working with white collar people, its suit and tie.

If you want to really get into image and impressions, there is a lot of research out there. People who are thin are percieved as more competent than those who are overweight/obese. Those who wear glasses are percieved to be more intelligent.
E&S Man

Post by E&S Man »

bindscott wrote:Ladies: Mini-skirts. Doesn't matter what you wear on top. Just wear min-skirts.
:mrgreen:
blonde&more
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by blonde&more »

Gentlemen: I would prefer it you wear a nice suit & tie when you come to my office, dark blue with wingtips (MEOW!). Make sure the entire outfit is secured with Velcro so with one big tug, like that of the Chippendale Dancers, it all comes off, I can get a good look at what my premium dollar will be paying for! :mrgreen:

Hey... the mini skirt thing could not go unanswered.