moving to New York

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Indie
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

moving to New York

Post by Indie »

I have an insurance lic in California, Does anyone know what would be required to get a New York Insurance Lic? Would I be required to take the state written exam over again?
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

New York

Post by LadyBroker »

I would suspect that the New York DOI has a pretty nice website, funded by all that Marsh fine money...(sigh).....I would probably google that to start, and see if they have anything posted on the site. If there isn't any info posted, it will at least give you a phone number to call.

Good luck!
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
Larson
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Larson »

^^^^ What she said.
But the million dollar question is why you are moving from CA to NY :shock: .
Forum Reader
Insurance Journal Addict

NY DOI website

Post by Forum Reader »

TheInsKid
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by TheInsKid »

all the ins dept websites are here:http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm

New Yorks is http://www.ins.state.ny.us/

Good Luck
Indie

Post by Indie »

I had already looked at their website among many attempts at googling an answer. My last resort is to call the DOI of NY. I thought maybe someone might know. I dread making the call as it will probably take all day to talk to someone who will probably give me wrong info anyway LOL
csr@ramt

Post by csr@ramt »

The only thing you will have to do is apply for a license as a resident of NY and show the NYSID that you have had a previous license. You will not have to take another exam in order to qualify. We just had someone in our office switch home states so I know this for a fact.
alardler

Post by alardler »

Refer to the following statute: Ins. Law s 2103

(11) of any individual who applies for an insurance agent license in this state who was previously licensed for the same line or lines of authority in another state, provided, however, that the applicant's home state grants non-resident licenses to residents of this state on the same basis. Such individual shall also not be required to complete any prelicensing education. This exemption is only available if the person is currently licensed in that state or if the application is received within ninety days of the date of cancellation of the applicant's previous license and if the prior state issues a certification that, at the time of cancellation, the applicant was in good standing in that state or the state's producer database records, maintained by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, its affiliates or subsidiaries, indicate that the producer is or was licensed in good standing for the line of authority requested. An individual or entity licensed in another state who moves to this state shall make an application within ninety days of establishing legal residence to become a resident licensee. No prelicensing education or examination shall be required of that person to obtain any line of authority previously held in the prior state except where the superintendent determines otherwise by regulation.

Hope this helps! You will need to provide documentation of your current CA license when you apply for the NY license.