RE: Commission Split contract with buyout provision

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

ScubaDude
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ScubaDude »

I'm entering into a contractual agreement with an independent agency to do outside sales. Can anyone point me to a contract that the agency and I can use as a template? It needs to cover the commission split and buyout provisions. Thanks for all of your help!
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

An agreement like this should not be done on the cheap.

You need an attorney to draw this up - someone who looks out for your interests.

Put another way... We hate it when attorneys try to tell us about insurance. Why do we think we can practice law?
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by gregcw »

scott wrote:An agreement like this should not be done on the cheap.

You need an attorney to draw this up - someone who looks out for your interests.

Put another way... We hate it when attorneys try to tell us about insurance. Why do we think we can practice law?
I agree that we should not be practricing law, :!: HOWEVER :!: most attorneys are woefully ignorant of many of the arrangements, of this type, that are common in the insurance industry. Although I do not have one to provide, I think that ScubaDude is on the right track and well advised to be looking for a template.
Gregcw
Norcalinsurance
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: RE: Commission Split contract with buyout provision

Post by Norcalinsurance »

I am looking to do something very similar to this. I would like to hire an agent to be a 'sub-producer' for my agency, with the majority of their be the commission made off of each new account they bring in.

If somebody has any resources for templates to draw some kind of contract like this, it would be very helpful. I do agree that you may want to consult a lawyer, but I'm sure it would be less costly to do some of the leg work by putting together the initial contract & understanding it, then bringing the lawyer in to review it.
“Look, good against remotes is one thing, good against the living, that’s something else.”