Tallahassee Opportunities

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

thatinsguy
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Tallahassee Opportunities

Post by thatinsguy »

I am considering a move to the Tallahassee area from the Midwest. I have been in the insurance game for almost 10 years now all on the agency side... Started out with State Farm, went to the largest privately-held brokerage/agency in the US, produced on my own for a few years and am currently with an agency managing a unit of 6 people.

Was wondering if anyone out there knows of an agent/broker in the area that I should talk with about potential opportunities for employment. I have extensive experience in all commercial lines - from small BOP items, to mid-market accounts ($2+ Mil), to international exposures. I am currently salaried plus bonus making low 6 figures.

In my searches online, I am not finding much and starting to think that it might not be the greatest opportunity to continue along the same career path and maybe time for a change. The problem is that I love this insurance game and love the growth potential that it brings. If anyone out there knows of someone that I should talk with, I would appreciate any direction that you can point me in.

Regards -
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Tallahassee Opportunities

Post by pita3333 »

I would post this same message to the boards for the software program(s) you are most familiar with (AMS, Applied etc).

That might result in more hits and feedback. Also seek out a recruiter who truely knows that territory as well as marketing reps for the carriers that write business there. These people can tell you who the agencies are and who might be looking for people.

Good luck!
bpotter136
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Tallahassee Opportunities

Post by bpotter136 »

Hi,

The largest health plans in this area are BCBS and CHP (Capital Health Plan). These two companies handle the bulk of state contracts and Medicare business. It would be worth contacting them directly. We also have other large carriers such as Humana and Aetna. They play a much smaller role. The state of Florida runs Citizens Property Insurance. They provide P & C for many homeowners, but they have a poor reputation. Consider them with caution. Also, consider contacting the Florida Insurance School. They have classes and the instructors are good about taking a few minutes to offer advice.
Best of luck.

Note: CHP is owned by BCBS.