Advice Needed

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

insuregirl
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by insuregirl »

Just looking for some advice from some of you insurance gurus. I have been in the business for over 8 years as a licensed P & C agent. I previously worked for an independent agency in more of a CSR position. However, I was writing more new business than the producers and not getting compensated for it, so I found another job. I am now working for an independent agency as an agent/producer. I am the only person within my branch & the only person employed by this agency within the entire region. There is a lot of potential out there, however I am not from this area. I am checking into joining the chamber & other civic organizations to get my name out there. Any other advise as far as getting my name out there. We ran a newspaper ad which resulted in no calls. I am confident in my abilities & know that I can generate new business, I just need my name out there more. Any advise or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
merrimack
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by merrimack »

join any business group you can to make contacts. Join local Chambers of Commerce, join Rotary, and some communities have groups called Plans. They are a business, government, community partnership.

Get your name and face out there.
insuregirl
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by insuregirl »

Thanks for the advice, Merrimack! I am doing just that. I'm in the process of joining the chamber & Rotary. I just lined up several functions which I plan to attend over the next few weeks. I'm just going to have to become a familiar face around here! Thanks again!
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

The first thing I would do, is do business with people from the area you're servicing. They'll get to know you, develop a friendly relationship with you, and they won't hesitate to bring you their business and refer their friends to you. I have my veterinarian's insurance, the pet store owner's insurance, my doctor's insurance, my dentist's insurance, etc. As long as you treat these people right, they'll always refer others to you. Doing things this way will get your name out there pretty quickly...

If you're doing personal lines auto, ask the local high schools if you can speak about car insurance to the driver's ed students. A State Farm agent did that when I was in high school, although I don't know how much the kids listened I'm sure they'd recognize his name in the yellow pages.

One thing that has taught me a lot is reading business books. Look on amazon.com for some, you'd be surprised how chocked full of advice they can be, and how practical the information is to our industry.
insureman
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by insureman »

Insuregirl:

I started producing 7 years ago after working as a Company underwriter and then an in-house marketer for an agency. When I first started producing, I was told by the Agency Owner that I must join the Chamber and other local charitable groups if I intended to be successful in sales.

After a few years of attending these meetings, especially the Chamber of Commerce meetings, I determined that they were almost useless as far as leading me to new business. I would make sure to move around and meet and talk with any many people as possible. I did learn more about local businesses and Town politics but I did not get much business at all.

The problem I found was that the meetings were domintated by individuals from many different sales oriented professions (including representatives from at least three other insurance agencies) that attended the meetings for the sole purpose of getting leads for themselves.

I have found that the best use of my time is to ask my existing clients or the other Agency owned clients that I was servicing for referrals. I know asking for the referral sounds basic but you'd be amazed to hear that not many agents do this consistently. I found immediate success with this method and I continue to remind myself every day to ask for referrals. If a client is satisfied with your performance AND they like you they will go to great lengths to help you generate leads.

I urge you to spend any extra time you do have getting out and visiting your clients. Resist the temptation to use only the phone or e-mail with your clients. A dinner, lunch maybe attending a sporting or other event with a client can go a long way to developing your personal relationship with your clients and in turn I guarantee that you will get referrals from them.

When you do get that nice referral from a satisfied client you will find the sales process on that lead to be amazingly easy. Your client/friend has likely already sold you to the person and they will TRUST you. You just need to be able to come through with a competitive (not always the lowest) quotation.

Note: If you don't continue to ask for referrals your clients will assume that you are busy enough and they will not think of giving you a referrral. So remember to keep asking.....

I hope this helps. Good luck in sales!!!
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

http://www.agencyideas.com
http://www.producerideas.com
http://www.csrcross-selling.com

All of the above have good ideas, but require money for them.