Agency In NC or SC

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

popodad
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Agency In NC or SC

Post by popodad »

I'm planing on moving to NC or SC (Raleigh, NC / Fayetteville, NC or Florence, SC) in the next 6-9 months and was wondering if someone can give me some information on opening an insurance agency in those areas.

To give you a brief feeback I have been an independent agent in CT for the last 8 years... In our agency we do Insurance / Accounting / Real Estate... so we would be open to a new venture, purchase an agency or associate with someone looking to grow.

Thanks in advance.

Popodad
DBCANADY
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Agency In NC or SC

Post by DBCANADY »

To Whom it May Concern:

We are very interested in speaking with you about your possible move to NC

My agency is headquartered in Fayetteville with branch offices throughout NC, including Apex, NC {right outside of Raleigh}. We represent the top regional & national carriers & have a tremendous marketshare in Eastern NC [over 22,000 policyholders including over 11,000 homes insured!]. You can learn all about us by visiting our website, www.iscfay.com.

Why your posting is of particular interest to us is approximately two years ago, we moved another agent who wished to relocate to Apex, NC from Rochester, NY into a sales position in Apex, NC & he, only after two years, is our top producing agent.

To speak with either me or my father, John L. Canady, just call us at the office, (910) 323.3045

For a point of reference, feel free to call the agent who relocated, John Mulcahy @ (919) 622-1214 for a reference

Look forward to hearing from you & if you would please reply to me via email, dbcanady@iscfay.com, it would be greatly appreciated.

David B. Canady, CIC
Vice President
Insurance Service Center
910.323.3045 office
910.401.9200 direct
866.405.9918 fax
www.iscfay.com
NCPCLHagent
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Agency In NC or SC

Post by NCPCLHagent »

I operate an agency that acts in NC, SC, VA, GA, and TN.

If I had the choice, I would say operate in SC. You have more coverages available and the rates aren't as controlled as they are in NC. Many carriers have backed out or pulled punches in underwriting appetite or coverage because of NC controlled rates. NC is going through a lot of changes right now, however, so if you WERE to start in NC then you would get a good footing and not be hedged out by the competition. monoline homes are hard to get coverage for as well as coastal properties (which you will probably see some of in the Raleigh area.)

SC has a good mix of carriers and they are less regulated than in NC. You will see better coverage choices compared to NC as well. You do face a similar issue with coastal SC as you do coastal NC, though.

I'd personally do SC over NC, but I can offer sound advice to whichever state you are in depending on your target markets and marketing.

Feel free to PM me for any assistance, I'm not trying to recruit but we have all had difficulties. A move already sucks, it shouldn't impact your business as well.