Standard Non-Compete

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

shiftins
Insurance Journal Fan

Standard Non-Compete

Post by shiftins »

Does anyone know where I can get a non-compete or no-compete agreement. I need something stating that any agents working for me cannot contact any of the customers they close while working for me for X amount of time after they stop working for me. Thanks in advance.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Standard Non-Compete

Post by Big Dog »

Most non-compete agreements in California don't hold water. You might want to check with legal council first on both the validity and enforceability of a no-compete.
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

shiftins wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a non-compete or no-compete agreement. I need something stating that any agents working for me cannot contact any of the customers they close while working for me for X amount of time after they stop working for me. Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can get it from an attorney specializing in contract law. Any other non-compete agreement that is not State Specific, Industry Specific and Agency Specific would be a waste of time. You would regret the cheap model if you ever need it.
AgencyEquity
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AgencyEquity »

Big Dog wrote:Most non-compete agreements in California don't hold water. You might want to check with legal council first on both the validity and enforceability of a no-compete.
That is so well started, furthermore this is a state specific issue, I would only hire an attorney who is familiar with your state and any other states you do business in. There are things the can do to strengthen the non-complete, such as include a trades secrets clause and possibly a number of other things. That is why it's so important to hire an attorney who knows these issues.
http://www.agencyequity.com
The Premier Website for Insurance Agency Principals, Executives, and Producers with Executive-Level Business Needs