CPCU Question and advice

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Beaker
Insurance Journal Fan

CPCU Question and advice

Post by Beaker »

Hi - I have a couple of questions that I have been mulling over for a while and thought I would 'put it out there' to get some advice.

I am at a smallish Lloyds Broker in London and have just hit 41 years of age. Although I have both Bachelor's and Masters degrees in unrelated subjects, I am really looking to move my career on and progressing and am wondering whether the CPCU would provide me with one of the tools in doing so? I place Excess and Surplus Lines business in London and travel to the US regularly but my questions are that apart from the obvious gain in knowledge I would get, realistically, would the CPCU provide opportunities to network and meet new people? Also, how would potential clients view a Brit having a CPCU? Would they feel that it is 'someone to do business with'?

Look forward to hearing from everyone.
gdsmack
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: CPCU Question and advice

Post by gdsmack »

I cannot say if the CPCU will "move my career on", but it certainly will not hurt and can only help. Placing E&S is a difficult business and I would imagine others in your level have the CPCU. I think the CPCU "solidifies" your committment and with today's "immediate" online capacity to find you, what you do and how well you do it . . . it would be a great designation to obtain. JMHO Take care.