FAMILY FARM WITH SAWMILL

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

FAMILY FARM WITH SAWMILL

Post by wlunday »

Hi, everybody!

I have a great challenge for you... I have a prospect with a family farm (beef & hogs) as well as a tree farm operation. Everything about the account is preferred... home, barns, equipment... but they also have a small sawmill set up to mill their own logs, for their personal use. It is not a commercial operation (hence part of the problem). Safeco/Liberty NW agreed to the account until they reconsidered the sawmill exposure. Currently the farm is with Grange Insurance, but the insured does not think they know about the sawmill so it's only a matter of time. He doesn't think they like them, either.

Any ideas? Do any of you out there have small sawmill operations insured? Thanks.

Wayne Lunday, LUTCF, CLU, ChFC
mica.cooper
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: FAMILY FARM WITH SAWMILL

Post by mica.cooper »

If its a family deal, and truly not commercial, what about a named exclusion for it?
jimmyr1978
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jimmyr1978 »

Try OneBeacon. We have a few farm policies with them that have small personal/commercial operations such as: a winery; a welding shop; and a barn where the insured builds race cars.
wlunday
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by wlunday »

Thanks for the feedback. I've considered the exclusion idea, but I really don't like going that route. The sawmill is in a section of the primary shop for the farm, so to exclude the property too much would be excluded.

I do have access to the onebeacon product line through Agent Secure, so I'll give that a try. Thanks to both of you.

Wayne