What is the best way to generate leads for new P&C agency?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

FLagent
Insurance Journal Fan

What is the best way to generate leads for new P&C agency?

Post by FLagent »

I just started a new P&C agency in Florida. I had a non-compete from my previous employer so I can not use my prior contacts. I have been up in running for almost 3 months and struggling to attract customers. I have tried nequote and insureme.com to get internet leads...no luck there. I have tried networking and not too many leads from there. I tried a small mass mailing to commercial risk...no response. I have the right carriers in place so that is not an issue. Any suggestions on how to bring in clients?
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: What is the best way to generate leads for new P&C agency?

Post by pita3333 »

It would be help to know a few more items:
Commercial %
Type of comm = mom/pop retail, distribution, mfg, service etc
Personal%
Type of pers = price shoppers, high net, etc
Life/Health%
Individual, group ...

Type of area
Rural, Metro or mix.
Population

Carrier appetites

Then after all of that...I would remind you that the sales cycle in commercial lines sales is rather long typically. 90-120 days on the average, perhaps it could drop down 30 days lower depending on the account size. If you are just now at 90 days then you should be starting to see a turn, but even that turn is 180+ down the road. However, this does not take into account how long it may take to develop suspects and turn them into prospects. That is a much longer cycle.

The million dollar question...what did you plan for in your business plan? If it were me I would not be expecting to be really running busy (busy meaning quoting/proposing/binding/servicing) until nearly the 1 year mark if I did not have a book of business under my control. Much of that first year would be on the hustle to develop suspects and turn them into prospects.
Michael Trouillon
Greater Los Angeles area

Consultant/Trainer agency automation system

Industry since 82

Past: Compliance Mgr master pol pgm, Ops Mgr, Marketing Mgr, Account Mgr
jbinsure
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jbinsure »

I agree with previous posts that it would be beneficial to know what types of accounts you are looking for. In my experience, each industry has their own ways of being marketed to. Postcard mailers might be fine for contractors, but you would probably look unprofessional marketing the same way to Attorneys.

I am in CA and do mostly contractors, and the direct mail thing while very lucrative a few years ago is proving to be a waste of time and money. We have developed a small internal marketing department that is now in it's third month. I have 2 Full Time and 1 Part time, and we are generating close to 100 solid leads / quotes per week.

Jbinsure
charlie@beacon
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by charlie@beacon »

We might be able to help

We set up face to face appointments to help our clients write more commercial lines accounts

You provide the criteria, SIC codes, premium volume, geographic location.

Our services are based on a per appointment / lead fee.

Call or email me to discuss-

Thanks

Charlie Tan
Beacon Marketing Inc.
1101 W. Struck Ave | Orange, CA 92867
 Tel: 714.628.1760 x208 | 866.580.4264 |  Fax: 714.333.4660
Email: charlie@beaconmarketing.net | http://www.beaconmarketing.net
WorkComp&Sense
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by WorkComp&Sense »

One strategy that works well for Florida agents is to start leading with the workers’ compensation coverage. By using the State’s website, you can source free leads by expiration date. Of course, looking for assigned risk members guarantees you will save them money.

Once you have the list sorted by the zip code(s) closest to your agency, you can review what each company does over the internet and determine if your markets have the products necessary to provide them with the coverage they need. At that point, you can tailor your sales materials specifically to them.

A quick visit to drop off materials and ask for an appointment will usually reap an appointment or two. Being pre-qualified allows you to only visit those prospects you know you have markets for and shows you have done your home work. Once in front of the prospect, you can ask questions and more carefully define the necessary coverages.

Best of luck with the new agency.

Work Comp & Sense
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

Here's is a tactic I have never mentioned on this forum before...

Change your accountant.

Your accounting firm should be the biggest and best accounting firm in your marketplace. Pick your accountant based on the market they serve. You want to work with the accounting firm that serves your ideal prospects.

Using the right techniques, your accounting firm can lead you to a string of great clients.

Want to build your network of great referral sources? Take a different accountant to lunch every week. At the end of the year you have 50 new friends who can send business to you.

<<Excerpt from my insurance sales system, "Six Figure Insurance Commissions" due out in September>>
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant
Mastercraft
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Mastercraft »

Dave Ramsey, the nationally syndicated radio talk show host is starting a new P&C referral program. Independent agents can apply at https://www.daveramsey.com/elphub/index ... reAgentPnC.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Darrell Moore
ELP Team Leader
The Dave Ramsey Show
Darrell.Moore@daveramsey.com
Phone 877-410-3283 x 5558
Fax 615-550-6271