Twitter

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

new2independent
Insurance Journal Addict

Twitter

Post by new2independent »

I am familiar with twitter and how many companies and insurance agencies are using it to keep in touch with clients and prospects. I work for an independent agency as a producer. The agency owner is uncomfortable with using twitter due to an E&O exposure.

How would you feel if a producer at your agency used a Twitter account under his or her own name for an informative risk managment type blog?

I was thinking of posting links to articles about topics relating to the customers I would like to deal wtih and also on regional topics.

Thoughts?
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Twitter

Post by Big Dog »

If you search this forum, and elsewhere, you'll find many responses discouraging the use of Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and others as an "advertising" means. The sites are social networking sites, not business generating sites. Frankly, if someone were to add me as a "friend" to my Facebook for the sole purpose of trying to generate business, they would be removed and I'd probably give them a piece of my mind

Additionally, the agency owner should be uncomfortable with the E&O exposure as Twitter, etc. are international in scope. Additionally, the posting of article links and such may create a potential copyright exposure. Even if the articles and information are related to risk management, that still creates potential exposures that may not be covered under an agency E&O policy (or your homeowners policy).
ncagency
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ncagency »

Insurance Journal is Hosting a Live Webinar Wed 9/2/09 called Social Media 101: Get your Agency on Facebook & twitter. I would sugest you registering for that. I'm sure they can answer all your questions. Good Luck. Alot of Agencies & Buisnesses are using this as mean of networking. As long as your not posting personal info and just using to reach out to offer you services. I wouldnt think it wouldnt pose a problem, as would be like any other form of advertising, but good questions to ask them. I know I will register and ask for myself.
scott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by scott »

This is a common question from my mentor clients. I'm also including some ideas on social media in my Master Your Time teleseminar.

Quick-Take: Social media is a huge time-sucker with little return for most insurance professionals.

There is nothing wrong with it - assuming your only twitting those who want to be twitted - the time investment is too high based on the potential reward.
Scott Simmonds, CPCU, ARM
Insurance Consultant