General Liability for remodeler in Oregon with claim

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
abballmom
Insurance Journal Fan

General Liability for remodeler in Oregon with claim

Post by abballmom »

I am having a difficult time finding general liability coverage for a remodeler in Oregon. He had a claim of approx $60,000 that the insurance company paid in 1/08 as a result of a fire. He's been in business for 20 years and with this one exception has never had a claim.

It's just him with gross receipts of about $40,000. Any idea on companies willing to write for around $1500 to $1700 in premium?

Thanks for your help!
jbinsure
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: General Liability for remodeler in Oregon with claim

Post by jbinsure »

Check w/ Navigators ( small program ) through BTIS.
abballmom
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by abballmom »

They were one of the first ones I checked with they wouldn't write with the claim.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

Out of curiosity, what kinds of premium quotes are you receiving for this type of account?

For the small contractors, I've always had the idea that they've basically bought one claim policies, because any that I've been involved with that have one claim ALWAYS get non renewed at the next round. I've tended to run up against what you're experiencing, but the clients always seem to find coverage outside of my agency without any problem at a preferred price, which leads me to think that the next agency is choosing to leave off any claim history in their placing of business...but then what agency would non disclose to make a sale? I'm shocked that such activity might take place...shocked!
AMWUnderwriting
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by AMWUnderwriting »

Hello, if you are still having trouble with this account we would be more than happy to take a look at it here at AMW. We have a handful of markets available for this type of exposure, and have had success with contractors with prior claims before.

If you are interested, please send your submission to submit@amwcorp.com, we can use whatever application you have previously completed. Include a list of markets already approached and I am confident we can find a viable option for you.

If you have details on the claim, including what they are doing to prevent future losses of this type that is always a help.

Hope to hear from you!
Alexander Morford & Woo, Inc.
www.amwcorp.com