Food borne illness and restaurant coverage

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Food borne illness and restaurant coverage

Post by Rob »

I have a restaurant (pub and grill) that doesn't qualify for a BOP through a standard market (I'm in CA) due to the percentage of alcohol sales. I have received about five different quotes for GL/Liquor/Property (some including A&B) through the E&S market. However, so far they all contain an exclusion in some form for either organic pathogens or communicable diseases. Does anyone know of a market that does not include this exclusion? Obviously there is a concern about claims resulting from alleged food poisoning.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Food borne illness and restaurant coverage

Post by LadyBroker »

You can buy Food Borne illness coverage separate, and assuming they don't serve unusual foods, it's pretty cheap. Markel offers a policy, off the top of my head.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

LadyBroker wrote:You can buy Food Borne illness coverage separate, and assuming they don't serve unusual foods, it's pretty cheap. Markel offers a policy, off the top of my head.
I do have one quote with First Mercury and in looking at the exclusions there is not a communicable disease or virus/bacteria exclusion on the GL. They also have a condition that no raw seafood is being served which would lead me to believe that they are providing this coverage. I've ordered the forms so we'll see.
Rob
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rob »

Upon closer examination, some of the quotes I received which have an exclusion for bacteria/virus/organic pathogens stipulate on the endorsement that it doesn't apply to products for consumption.
Hanley
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Hanley »

For the food borne illness and loss of income coverage you are looking for go to the PLISINC.com website. They have offered this coverage through Lloyd's for several years on a stand alone program and insure big and small food service operations.