Wawanesa Insurance - Counter Points against this company

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Wawanesa Insurance - Counter Points against this company

Post by meytai »

The single thing i hear about this company are awesome rates. I'm witness to it.. they consistently beat rates by 400 - 500 and even 600 bucks. Does their claim suck? any draw backs to this company?
philip
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Wawanesa Insurance - Counter Points against this company

Post by philip »

I have never heard of them. Also I don't know who you have access to but I do know that if what you say about them being so much cheaper, they won't be around long!
sankykid
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sankykid »

philip wrote:I have never heard of them. Also I don't know who you have access to but I do know that if what you say about them being so much cheaper, they won't be around long!
Wawanesa is a direct writer that's been writing in California since 1975 and has continued to grow into the 20th largest auto carrier in the state. They're much cheaper than any other carrier I've priced them against including Mercury. As for their claims handling I've heard both good and bad things.

The catch is they only take Good Drivers and heavily penalize any points on your MVR or hits on your CLUE report. They also offer fewer BI/PD/UMBI coverage options than most other companies.
Insureguy
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Insureguy »

Wawanesa is an excellent A rated carrier. Previous post is correct as all drivers must be Ca good drivers. They will not take youthful drivers with less than 3 years driving expereience. I have been in insurance sales for 20 years and have my own personal insurance with them for 5 years. Have also had a couple of claims and the experience both times was excellent. Family members had a ticket each and the rate increase was not substantial. If you are not a Ca good driver forget it but then none of the other preferred carriers want you either.

Just be glad they are a well kept secret and that most consumers are not aware of them. No one can touch their rates
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

I just went through their website for quote info...the prior poster is correct...limited to 100/300 for max BI limits. They don't reveal quote info live...it will be sent via snail mail or email. The present as an 'exclusive' carrier, much like Horace Mann, with limited reach and tight underwriting leading to great rates if one fits into their pigeonholes.

Personal Lines agents quoting against such carriers are usually doomed in a strict price comparison situation. I've typed this sort of insured as VERY price conscious, who is allways willing to invest a few minutes on a regular basis to compare rates and solicit quotes just to satisfy themselves they've made a good buying decision. To the hungry personal lines producer, it starts off as a valid quote, only to turn into either a waste of time, or a pity party because they cannot offer similiar rates in the marketplace.

My unsolicited advice is to let this stuff go, or you'll drive yourself coo-koo feeling that your entire product line is overpriced. At times like this in the market place...there are very few shoppers, and those that do appear on your doorstep are often the chronic price shoppers or those with issues like claims, late pays, wierd driving records, or just the uninsured flotsam and jetsam that often washes up on our doorsteps. That's not your fault, it's just the current market conditions.
subookout
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by subookout »

I have been with them for over 11 years and no one has been able to touch their rates. All the household carrier names are usually several hundred dollars more. Coverage is great for the price and service and claims are just as wonderful. As long as you keep your record clean, no one can beat them - except for USAA.
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by meytai »

Thanks for the replies..

Wawanesa (i have known for years) has unbeatable rates. Everyone that has posted is right. Just wondering there has to be a flaw.. and i guess the only flaw is that they do everything via snail mail... but for the price i am thinking many people are willing to do business, including my GF : (

I guess this company has no weaknesses!!!!!!!!!