Solicitor

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Clozer
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Clozer »

I can't seem to get the P& C sside off the ground. I have a friend who is appointed with all the top copmpanies wanting to to be a solicitor for him. What should I do... He'll pay me 10% on home and auto... Does this mean I have to go through him for a quote or a company... I'm in MS and have my P&C license.... HELP PLEAAAASE
Clozer
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Clozer »

SIAA is out of the question, and the others are too "flight-by-nightiish" ex. Noodle.......
robalfan
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by robalfan »

It is not easy to start a P&C agency from scratch. I did it 45 years ago, but times have changed. It requires hard work. Chances are you will not find a standard company to appoint you on the come. Therefore, you should concentrate on surplus lines business, where MGAs are available. Some of them may have access to standard companies. Search for those. After you have a certain volume of business, you should be able to obtain appointments for commercial lines and eventually for personal lines. In the meantime, try to find good life companies, with high commissions, as well as small group insurance carriers. Once you develop those, the rest will be easier.
Good luck!
Robalfan
jamesclark
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jamesclark »

If you have any working capital see if there is a small agency in town that you can buy. Keep an eye out for people retiring where you can buy the book. Its a good way to get rolling.