Which route is best?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Sundance
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Sundance »

It is hard to say not knowing your area. Mine is 1.8MIL so there ya go. Truly, I think anything is possible if you staff yourself correctly and make service your top priority.

I opened my main & a satellite at the same time and now I am going to staff withg outside producers. Commercial & life insurance should get you there.
Joe Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Joe Agent »

carterrud,

What State are you in?
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Couch, you can not sell $400.000 in premium period annually with just Allied, I hate to be that blunt. You need to concentrate on Commercial. Home/Auto is 20 % of your premium, the service work is horrible. It would take you years to achieve 400,000 in written premium for just Home/Auto. Allied should only be requiring 150,000 annually. They are very good in the service market you should kick some butt. FYI, it would take several good carriers like Hartford, Safeco, Allied, Travelers, for you to achieve 400,000 in written premium per year. Your to new and have a hell of a lot to learn. :roll: :roll: :roll:
coach
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by coach »

sanddog---It's not just with Allied. It's through Nationwide, and using Nationwide's entire portfolio, which includes Allied (in some cases). Nationwide owns Insurance Intermediaries Inc. brokerage and carrier network, but Nationwide still has the right of first refusal. Also, I would have 2-3 sales people working for me and selling for me. I know it isn't easy by any means. However, with four people selling $400,000 per year, should be attainable. Again, I could be wrong, but sundance is at 1.8mil after 3yrs. Anyone agree or disagree with this?
carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

Joe Agent I am in Ohio, 28, 9 months in. It is not my agency I work for someone. I have an associates degree and 4 years selling exp. as a Area Account Manager at a beer company
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Couch, your dreaming, be realistic, first of all IF your selling Business Commercial insurance under $50,000 in premium and Home/Auto/umbrella's, that's is Allied. Nationwide is like Zurich they have mutual agreements with many carriers that have speciality programs. Allied Ins., is one of them, and many of them you can not access unless you work as a direct producer for that MGA. Yes Nationwide is great, and yes you should be able to sell their life and health products. And if you get your series 6 & 7 you can sell their investment portfolio. That's just to many hat's for you....Where are you going to find 3 maybe 4 producers that know and understand rating with Allied/Nationwide and the business model/philosophy. And pay them salary the first year. You can not submit large account business until you learn and produce premiums in access of 500,000 annually. Did you know Allied/Nationwide cancelled the contract of hundred of agency in CA. And only kept the appointment of 50 large agency for the state of CA, and yes were one of them.
You will need to sell Allied Ins., the more I read your posting the more I think you need to be with a broker. ( I have never known any agent/ producer, broker who has ever sold 1,800,000 in premium in 36 months coming out of the gate.) The only exception is the connection from a friend or family member. Someone smoking crack
carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

sanddog, in my situation do you think I should go with a broker or stick it out IA. Like I said I have only written 35,000 in premiums in 9 months and at least quoted 15 commercial and 15 personal that would have been 115,000 in premium that I didn't get. I am just ReaLLY FRUSTRATED AND ANY HELP I WOULD APPRECIATE. I only have a P&C License
Joe Agent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Joe Agent »

carterrud, what appointments do you have? Are doing insurance full time? If you have good appoinments and do insurance full time that is not good.

When I started I only focused on personal lines. I did $300k with a captive company with bad rates my first year by myselft.
carterrud
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by carterrud »

We have about 6 companies, the problem is how can I do personal lines with the do not call list. I have done all friends, famly etc. Since my friends are young they have bad credit scores and our companies give them crap rates. I also am involved in many organizations. The other producer here besides my boss has been here 14 years and only has 900,000 in premium. I call buisnesses all the time and get 1 to 2 appointments a week. I have no lead list and not many referrals. I also do not get buisness that calls our office, that is house accounts
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Carterrud, Joe agent is correct, if your good at understanding the commercial markets
you should be placing small BOP's at least 1 to 2 per week. If writing personal lines everyday or closes to it. STOP writing your friends insurance, you'll loose friends.
Write Commercial go door to door, screw the phone. If you have a big smile and a gift for sales, there's no problem.
Your are not going to learn Jack from a farmers, allstate, statefarm agent. ( When it comes to the real insurance world) Go find a broker who has lots of carriers. Learn Learn......................:) :roll:
hosed
Insurance Journal Fan

good luck

Post by hosed »

I took a 250k (premium) office to 0.9 million in 3 years but am paying one third to broker for companies and book keeping. How does it work with Brooks Agency?