Wind Coverage for the Florida Panhandle

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Agent in AL
Insurance Journal Fan

Wind Coverage for the Florida Panhandle

Post by Agent in AL »

Can anyone help with a carrier who is writing wind coverage for the Florida Panhandle????

Current coverage is with Citizens.

Thanks!!!!! :)
Dawgnacious
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Dawgnacious »

Agent in AL:
I think that you will find that Citizens is the market. ICAT has serious problems in FL right now and there seems to be very little capacity with other domestics and/or London.

Based on your username, I assume that you are located in AL. What markets are writing wind down in Mobile Bay area? Does AL have a wind pool?
sandit
Insurance Journal Fan

FL Wind

Post by sandit »

What do you do for those who are not eligible for Citizens - i.e. commercial property that is not eligible for the wind pool? ICAT will not take this business either. I can't find any markets at all.
jb
Insurance Journal Fan

New Carrier

Post by jb »

Rockhill Ins Co, a start up E&S carrier, is offering commercial wind cover in Fla.
CapacityBroker
Insurance Journal Fan

Southern Wind

Post by CapacityBroker »

My firm has a pen for Lloyds who is still issuing wind aggregate in Florida. Rates for all risks are anywhere from $1.50-2.50 depending on the situation. Citizens is still the most viable (but bear in mind the well can and likely will run dry if we have another bad wind season) and no, no wind pool in Alabama as yet.
CapacityBroker
Insurance Journal Fan

Florida Wind

Post by CapacityBroker »

Rockhill was about $9,000 more expensive than a deal I just wrote, but yes, they are still writing wind, they just need lead time as they are buried in submissions. We also have many markets writing wind, including Bermuda facilities which we have direct access to.
Dawgnacious
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Dawgnacious »

Arrowhead is another wind market to consider. Access to them via wholesalers.

Word has it that Citizens is probably going to have to increase rates dramatically in the very near future. They were supposed to the market of last resort in lieu of "THE MARKET."