FL Homeowners

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
sewholesaler
Insurance Journal Fan

FL Homeowners

Post by sewholesaler »

I am looking to write some Home business in FL as a non-resident. Is this possible? What carriers should I/can I get? Thanks.
Advisor
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: FL Homeowners

Post by Advisor »

sewholesaler wrote:I am looking to write some Home business in FL as a non-resident. Is this possible? What carriers should I/can I get? Thanks.
Yes it's possible but I won't say what companies you can use or what companies you should use. Do your due dilligence.

That aside, where in FL? And where are you located (at least the name of state)?

Home insurance in FL is tough, especially so in coastal areas. The demographics have changed dramatically, construction codes have changed, etc., etc.

Truthfully I have a problem with agents who don't live in this area trying to write property insurance. Most often you're not familiar with the codes, the property details, local conditions, etc. I see it happen quite a bit. Homeowners who bought insurance from someone who isn't in the state. Then when there's a problem (claim, etc.) the agent isn't available and the homeowner must deal with the company.
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

I heard that there may be a cuople of new HO carriers coming to that state. Don't hold your breath. I have to agree with Advisor. Your wasting your time try Arkansan or North Dakota :wink:
rodgwag
Insurance Journal Addict

Non-resident selling in Florida.

Post by rodgwag »

If you get ASI (american strategic insurance) and Citizens Property Insurance Corp. the state backed insurance you will make many sales. I worked for a company selling in Florida from California two years ago. I presently have my own office in California and sell home and auto insurance in California, Michigan, Georgia and Florida. I presently hold 21 licenses but have sold insurance in every state except Mass. The market is tough but the premiums are good and the clients stick like glue. Good luck!
Rodgwag
Advisor

Re: Non-resident selling in Florida.

Post by Advisor »

rodgwag wrote:If you get ASI (american strategic insurance) and Citizens Property Insurance Corp. the state backed insurance you will make many sales. I worked for a company selling in Florida from California two years ago. I presently have my own office in California and sell home and auto insurance in California, Michigan, Georgia and Florida. I presently hold 21 licenses but have sold insurance in every state except Mass. The market is tough but the premiums are good and the clients stick like glue. Good luck!
ASI isn't writing much of anything and Citizens is grabage coverage. I don't work with ASI so I can't say anything good or bad (other than few agents in Central FL use them) but Citizens is bad news. This is why I have a problem with agents from other states selling property insurance in FL, especially the coastal areas. They usually don't have a clue what the situation is and almost automatically go into Citizens. They exacerbate the problem by not telling people what they're getting with Citizens, which is less coverage. The differences in the policies are numerous. Most agents, especially those from out of state, can't tell you what's missing in the Citizens policies. Which means the customer doesn't know either. But that's not a problem for you guys, is it? Because you don't live here and you don't deal with the fallout. Better have good E&O coverage.
njexpat

Out of State agents

Post by njexpat »

ADVISOR - I don't entirely disagree with your points re: the pitfalls of non resident agents selling coverage in your state. I would observe that since your state finally increased your building codes post Andrew, the carriers who do offer coverage are quite able to identify what risks are or are not eligible through their underwrting guidelines (even carriers not located in FL)

Since you are an ADVISOR, however, you may ALSO want to advise non resident agents that CITIZENS only provides access to FL RESIDENT agents. Why any of you still write business with them is another matter.
rodgwag
Insurance Journal Addict

Florida Homeowners

Post by rodgwag »

I have personal written over 1500 policies in the state of Florida and have never been there. You can write and service auto and home insurance clients from anywhere in the country if you have an understanding of different insurance markets. Wake up guys before it is too late. There are agencies like mine selling insurance all over the country some of them like the one I started with sell 10,000 policies per month. In fact I am training several agents who will be selling in Florida very soon. Don't be afraid of this. Improve yourself before it is too late.

By the way I have never had a service complaint, in fact I have recieved letters from clients that I sold renters insurance before the first storms in 2003. The letters thanked me and the insurance company that I was using at the time for being there when they had questions or needed service.

The insurance business is changing. Change with it or get out of it. By the way, the states are working together to come up with a national license.
Rodgwag
rodgwag
Insurance Journal Addict

Florida home insurance

Post by rodgwag »

Oops almost forgot. You can write Citizens from anywhere in the country as long as you have at least one customer placed with another carrier.
Rodgwag