CPCU

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

CPCU

Post by InsAgentSF »

How long did it take you to finish CPCU?

I am planning to take my first class in 2 weeks
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

I'm still working on it. I've put in about 3 years of study so far, I hope to have it wrapped up very shortly.
AlstonCPCU
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AlstonCPCU »

I started in July 2002 and finished in March 2006.
BrokerX
Insurance Journal Fan

CPCU

Post by BrokerX »

If you take one class per test period, it should take you about 3 years. It took me four years since they were only offering two tests a year. I would not recommend taking more than test at a time. Good Luck!
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CPCU

Post by InsAgentSF »

Thank you guys. I was hoping to get it wrapped up in 2 years, but i guess i was naive :) Are the classes online? Is this self study?
cgb
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by cgb »

Good for you for starting classes! I took the long route, got married, moved a few times to different states, changed jobs, botched an exam or two, it happens. If it happens to you, just keep going.

As far as classes vs. self study, it depends on your local teachers and you're study habits. My teachers weren't so hot but I was organized and did most of mine self study. What I did was this; counted back 15 weeks, one for each chapter from the exam date, or target exam date when they changed them to windows. Add 4 weeks for review and those weekends when you just can't face the books. It'll happen. I did quite well that way, and also used Keir's study guides. Great things, compact, easy to carry around, and the practice exams were a real help.

The text gets dry, so be forewarned. Also, you want to use the course guide; if it isn't in the course guide, you don't care, it won't be on the test.

While it took me a while to finish I'm glad I did it; it's worth it's weight in gold. Good luck.
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

Excellent. Thank you very much for your reply and words of encourangement
richardmarch
Insurance Journal Fan

RE: CPCU

Post by richardmarch »

Got mine done in 10 months...one course waived for having my MBA. I came to the office an hour early every day to read the dry textbooks...applied the new knowledge to my job and ignored the third-party study guides (Kear, etc.)

If I were to go through it again, I would use the course study guide more...some of the chapters are not tested!

Good luck and congratulations!
Dilbert

y'all are lucky

Post by Dilbert »

Y'all are lucky. Back in the day when I took my CPCU exams, there were 10 of them, and there were only two testing periods each year, in January and in June. I refused to test in the summer when I could be playing golf & softball, so I basically took only 1 test each year. It took me nine years to finish. Plus, we had to write all of our exams by hand, and wait 6 weeks to find out if we passed.

I we also had to walk uphill both ways to and from the testing center.
Dope Smoking Agent

Post by Dope Smoking Agent »

I don't even know what CPCU stands for. I just know it is on my business cards.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

"Can't Produce, Can't Underwrite"
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CPCU

Post by independent guy »

BrokerX wrote:I would not recommend taking more than test at a time.
Agreed. I took two tests in one day last fall, and passed both courses. I tried to do the same this spring and failed them both. That was an expensive lesson to learn! (and no, it wasn't on my boss's dime either)
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

Big Dog wrote:"Can't Produce, Can't Underwrite"
LOL
Beachguy
Insurance Journal Fan

CPCU

Post by Beachguy »

It took me 28 years, yes, 28! Passed 7 exams in a two year period shortly after I got out grad. school. Then a move, four kids, two more moves, and three job changes. When I decided to finish the program, I got very lucky. The CPCU program changed so essentially, I only needed to pass 1 more exam - Legal. Back to the books after 28 years! I failed the first time around, passed the second time. Lesson: Don't take a 25 year break!
TheBarbara
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by TheBarbara »

You can get information at http://www.aicpcu.org about classes in your area and on-line options.