I need access to markets

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
insurancehustla
Insurance Journal Fan

I need access to markets

Post by insurancehustla »

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sites to get access to more markets?

I heard http://www.superioraccess.com gives pretty good markets.

Any thoughts, before I try them out?
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

markets

Post by LadyBroker »

What types of risks are you looking to place? A good wholesaler can give you access to more specialized markets, but if you are looking for standard Premises, BOP markets, work comp, that sort of thing, you may want to look at your standard carriers first for a direct appointment.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
insurancehustla
Insurance Journal Fan

the thing is though I dont do enough volume to get a direct appointment and I want the flexibility of going with other carriers if they have a better deal. I dont want to specialize because I want to be able to grab anything that comes my way.
tflood
Insurance Journal Addict

SIAA

Post by tflood »

visit this site http://www.siaa4u.net/ Joining SIAA may be a great solution for you. They can provide you direct contracts with markets such as Travelers, Hartford, etc. Plus, you have the potential to share in supplemental commissions/contingencies. Good Luck
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

It's your business..but...

Post by d's insurance store »

Far be it to tell you how to run your business, and I'm not trying to be the least bit dismissive in what I suggest, but, I respectfully submit that in this day and age, it comes close to business suicide to not be focused on some kind of market, whether commercial, personal, life or health.

With rare exception, the days of a general practictioner are just about over unless you're running such a small operation, that you effectively become a boutique agency with yourself and maybe one or two other people.

The concept of 'I want to take whatever comes along' without any kind of focus means that you're not going to really be an expert at anything and that can get you into serious trouble, especially in the commercial marketplace.

If you're just trying to get access to personal lines markets with the affiliation with something like Superior Access or SIAA, then your concept is sound, because there's limited differences between personal lines products.

But, if you're presenting as the 'jack of all trades', 'I'll get quotes on whatever you bring me', then one wrong coverage issue in a claim situation will bury you in E&O Hell.

In my opinion, you also then get positioned as the 'fix it' agency, where risks will come to you for the one hard to place piece of business, but they're not likely to think of you and your agency for their mainstream stuff. And a lot of that hard to place stuff is very labor intensive, with the initial quoting process to verious MGA's, to the servicing and the 'non automatic' renewal process that requires a whole new set of updated Acord's each and every year. Unless you're capturing a big time broker fee or your premium is up at $5000 and above, it's a lot of work for not a lot of money. That's a very hard business model for any kind of major financial success.

As I stated at the beginning, it's your agency, and you can run it any way you damn well please and you didn't state whether or not you're just starting out. If you've got an established base, then disregard everything I stated, but if you're new to the game, then I urge you to give some thought to my advice.

Good luck
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

it's your business but...

Post by LadyBroker »

Good advice, D. As a wholesale broker, I see alot of submissions from retailers who really don't understand what they are doing, and they are potentially hurting the client with their lack of knowledge. Plus they have no control over their accounts, and no real ownership of the business they write. As an industry, we should be aiming for a higher standard.
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
insurancehustla
Insurance Journal Fan

Thanks for the advice D. and Yes I am just getting started. I totally understand what your saying and agree with you. I jsut figured that if I started off selling everything then I can see where my client base would be and then start focusing on specific lines that way as I learn what lines are mor profitable and worth the time.

or should I just choose a focus from the beginning?
TheInsKid
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by TheInsKid »

When working with new producers we have always tried to have them focus in a certain number of product areas and/or industries to start with. Use their previously knowledge to start with and expand from there. Depending upon the producer, the number will vary but the key is not to try and do too much too soon or you will get very frustrated and not like this great industry of ours. You would have little trouble in picking out 3 or 4 industries, do you homework and learn all you can about them. Then put a marketing plan together and let it fly. Stick with it, Rome was not built in a day. The new producers who have followed this plan have been successful. They have learned to tweak their plans as they went along but they have been able to write accounts and gain the trust of their clients, all the while asking for referrals. This may sound very simplistic but it works. This industry offers great careers!!!The best of luck to you.
:D :D
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Focus, focus, focus

Post by d's insurance store »

insurancehustla wrote:Thanks for the advice D. and Yes I am just getting started. I totally understand what your saying and agree with you. I jsut figured that if I started off selling everything then I can see where my client base would be and then start focusing on specific lines that way as I learn what lines are mor profitable and worth the time.

or should I just choose a focus from the beginning?
So, are you at the stage where you've got your license,phone, location and sign and the Yellow Pages are about to close in your area and you need to figure out what to put into the ad?

Have you put together some kind of business plan yet?

Are you just going to open your doors as a retail agent,put out a sidewalk sandwich board, start making cold calls to homeowners at night, pressing the flesh at real estate and title offices, hitting the auto dealerships and try and compete with every Allstate, Farmers and State Farm agency?

Is Commercial coverage your forte? Are you going to specialize in Manufacturers, office buildings, work comp, professional liability, habitational or truck fleets?

Hopefully, you're catching my drift.

If truly you're going to open a general practictioner agency, taking a little bit here and a little bit there, be very sure you've got at least a marketing/business plan so you know how to get from the starting line to break even and then into profitability.

If you're going to 'let the market' decide what you'll be....I've got a prediction...unless you're extraordinarily lucky or live in a robust growth area for homes and businesses and have very competitive products, the market will decide it can do without you.

You have to give people a reason to do business with you and not someone else. Many business consultants call this the USB...your 'Unique Sales Benefit', or something like that. It's your identity...what differentiates you from all of the rest of us selling your same product. You have to ask yourself as you launch your business, 'why should someone do business with you, as opposed to buying elsewhere?', and until you have something different to offer, the answer is there is no reason. Is your location more convenient? Are your rates better? Is your coverage different? Do you do more loss prevention and analysis? What???!!!

Proceed with caution, or else you're about to learn from the very expensive school of hard knocks. Get focused. Get a plan. Do some market research. Figure out an identity.

Then come back here and share your success.
smartagent
Insurance Journal Fan

There are better options then wholesalers

Post by smartagent »

Just some advise, Wholesalers like SUIAA, Superior Access, Insurance Noodle have really bad service and turn around times. They are good for last choice markets. They may provide markets but their turnaround times and servicing of accounts are the worst in the industry. Other E&S markets that provide access to perferred carriers may not pay you as much in commissions but you can count on the policies being processed in a timely fashion with accuracy and not leave you looking like you don't know what your doing with your client. There are a couple in California that are really good. My suggestion is that you find these markets and use them, they don't charge any fees to join. Save your money and trouble and find them.

Good Luck!
badger
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

To Lady Broker

Post by badger »

what is the name of your biz, website, I want to see what you offer agents up here in Oregon...god's country
fredwilkinson
Insurance Journal Fan

Finding Markets

Post by fredwilkinson »

If you want to have immediate access to over 50 companies and direct appointments with major carriers, check out http://www.siaa4u.net it is the largest independent agency network in the country with over 2100 agents writing $4.6 billion in premium. There is a reason they are number one. 8)
Alal
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

wow

Post by Alal »

good thing I read this forum, because my new marketing plan for my new agency included going to real estate agencies, brokers, auto dealerships and mortage agencies, etc. I ripped that plan and threw it in the garbage.

just on homeowners and personal auto.
Alal Uddin