have any marketing ideas for a new guy?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Wolf
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Wolf »

cid- good Tms especially B2B are a well kept secret. Prospectors from Pburg. Pro-spective and my fave handsdown is Pro-to-call.com...plan on spending 3-10 K for a good one- but they should build a database, call,collect data and qualify,schedule and re-schedule if needed and you should get final approval of scripts/database/qualiying criteria etc....ALWAYS contact the references!!!!!! and find out if they are compensated for referrals...find out how long they used the service and how many/what % quoted/closed.. it should be >10%(we have had clients close 23%)If you are budget minded look at different types of programs hourly vs. guaranteed # of appts
Check with your carriers -they talk to a number of agents using services like TM&leads,and don't forget to look for co-op dollars!!!
DWolf
DWOLF
Robman
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Robman »

Reeder, have you tried direct personal mail to a particular market?
Recently I started my own "campaign". I will go onto my local papers website (charlotte, nc) and find the "celebrations" page. I will look up all of the folks who just got married or had a baby. I will then go on "people search" and hunt for their address. The city they live in should be in the wedding or baby announcement. It is usually a hit or miss whether you find the address or not.

Then I would HAND WRITE on a notebook piece of paper a personal letter congratulationg them, and asking them about their honeymoon in _____. Then of course ask them to fill out a "concerns"checklist that is provided and send it back in the self addressed and stamped envelope provided.

The announcements will tell you where they went to school and and sometimes I will find logos and mascots on the internet and print them off, ct them out, and glue them on the letter...to make it personal.

To be honest, I just started this last week so I do not know how this will work yet. I sent out about 15 or so so far. I will try to do 10 a week. Worth a shot.
laidback
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by laidback »

With over 37 years experience, I have tried most vehicles for marketing my agency. The ones I have found most successful is networking with specific groups. I have been called a professional volunteer over the years by getting involved with the soccer community, little league, VFW but the most rewarding has been the local Chamber of Commerce. A lot of P&C agents join but they don't do anything to market their business. Most Chambers have an Ambassador group. This is a group that does ribbon cuttings, greeters and events, etc. This is a great way to get your face and name in front of the membership. They begin to come to you as the local expert, whether you are or not.
Keep the faith. I was looking for a job when I began in the insurance business in 1970, still looking for a job, but love this career.
Provide the Maximum Benefits for the Minimum Cost and the Best Possible Service
alardler

Post by alardler »

The announcements will tell you where they went to school and and sometimes I will find logos and mascots on the internet and print them off, ct them out, and glue them on the letter...to make it personal.
Be careful about using the logos/mascots of schools (or anything for that matter). These are copyrighted material and you can be sued for copyright infringement.

Unless you have their premission, you should not use them.
tsntyler

Marketin ideas

Post by tsntyler »

I opened a NEW office about 45 miles from my original location and missed all of the yellowpage and local phone books.

We used a group that specializes in "vanity phone numbers" - and started advertising 1-800-WE-INSURE as a phone number. The phone started ringing off the hook - THAT made the phone ring....then all YOU have to do is make the sale......and NOTHING happens until the phone rings!

You can call 1-800-WEINSURE and see if they are available in your area. You can talk to anyone that answers (Press #9 for a REAL person.) This is a pretty good system and works REAL well for personal lines but don't see why it wouldn't work for commercial lines as well.

Next, join an association that specializes in what you do. Do you sell any car insurance?? See http://www.autoinsuranceagentsnc.com for additional info.

Then we actually started hanging up WANTED POSTERS of the the office manager and put them in various locations around the small town. SOmething you can get away with in a small town that might not fly in a large metroplex area.

Then buy (rent, check out or borrow) the book Guerilla Marketing and read it cover to cover.

THen remember to carry your business card and give them out to everyone that is next to you in any type of line or checkout lane. I go places now and when I sign a personal check, folks ask "Are you that insurance guy??" THAT's what I want to hear!

Hope this helps!
AlstonCPCU
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by AlstonCPCU »

If you can't get on the phone and set appointments, you've got other trouble.

1. Beat the pavement
2. Make cold calls, in person and on the phone
3. Collect expiration dates
4. Follow up
5. Find a niche or program you have access to and sell it
tfh
Insurance Journal Fan

marketing

Post by tfh »

As long as you are an independent and not captive, contact a wholesaler in your area. They will be a great source of assistance on commercial accounts. Contact local daycare centers, beauty salons, restaurants, etc. If you have the opportunity, go to a seminar by Mike Jones out of Atlanta GA. I attended a young agents conference where he was the guest speaker. Has some very good suggestions for retail agents starting out on their own. He also has a website http://www.aboutmikejones.com.

Good luck!
Reeder

Post by Reeder »

Thank you all for your good ideas.

My post was 5 months ago, and I am still in business. I would not say I am thriving yet, but I am making ends meet.

Some things have worked, like online leads. I have used 3 companies and found one that works well in this area. Insureme.com. The reason they work for me is I concentrate on the homeowner leads. They have filters that let me avoid the poor credit folks that my carrier won't take. Some of you have said that leads are expencive and do not pay off. I found this to be true of auto leads. People are just too likely to shop the auto when there rate goes up. And if you are not the lowest you loose them. With the HO market, I find new home buyers in my area who are coming from out of state. These are the best. Of course I get the auto once they have moved.

As for cold calling I have been warned that it is a bad idea due to the DO NOT CALL LIST. What has worked a little in my area is putting flyers in paper boxes in neiborhoods around my office.

The best sucess I have had is just what most of you have said,Go out and pound the bricks. I find when I meet people face to face I am more likely to get their business.

Thank you all and keep the good ideas coming. I know this has helped me, maybe we are all helping some other newbees too. Or even the old timers may get something out of too.