Breaking into the industry (in this soft market)

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

ClayDalheim
Insurance Journal Fan

Breaking into the industry (in this soft market)

Post by ClayDalheim »

I recently graduated from college (University of Oklahoma), and I am looking to start a career in the commercial side of the industry. I am an outgoing person who really enjoys networking/meeting new people, and I feel as though insurance would be an excellent fit for me. I have checked sites like Career Builder, and Monster, but I feel as though these sites are pretty useless. How does one go about getting into the commercial side of this business? I currently live in the Dallas area (and would like to find something here).

Thank you very much I would appreciate your advice!
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Breaking into the industry (in this soft market)

Post by Big Dog »

You might want to consider working for an insurance carrier, rather than in the agency system. Check with either a locak recruiter that has a good reputation or consider contacting the carriers directly.
LadyBroker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by LadyBroker »

The Dallas area is packed full of large Retail brokers, wholesale brokers and carriers. Have you considered checking the Insurance Journal Online for your territory, and finding the next mixer or industry event? Depending on what you want to do (actual insurance Sales, underwriting, actuary, claims) you can go online and find contact information for everyone in your area. Monster and Career Builders are free sites, so keep in mind, you get what you pay for...I would ask if anyone in the Dallas area can refer you to an Insurance-specialized placement firm, too.

Friends in Dallas? Any ideas?
"It's a typical day, on the road to Utopia.."
nixonjf
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by nixonjf »

Questpro
JLNixon
both good recuiting firms headquatered in Dallas.
Other insurance recruiters can be found on nirassn.com

FYI - Candidates should never pay a fee, the employers pay.

Fees are high, so employers will try other options before bringing in the outside recruiters.
For entry-level positions you will need to search yourself and get your information registered with the employers you think are good targets. Most of the employers have some form of on-line resume submission process.

Networking helps - sign up for CPCU, CIC or other courses while you search.

Good Luck.
kevinraz
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by kevinraz »

Clay, consider this: the industry has been in the soft market for several years and it's got to change sometime. This might be a good time to get started in an insurance sales career as long as you have the skills & are willing to work hard.

If you start now with a broker and get your feet wet when the market turns you will be established and have a client base to work with. The new producers coming in who have little experience will not be able to compete with you for opportunities.

Just an idea, good luck with whatever you do.
Kevin Rasmussen AU, CIC
ClayDalheim
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by ClayDalheim »

Thank you all for your advice, it most certainly will not fall on deaf ears.

I appreciate your time,

Clay Dalheim