Prospecting Letters

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

nxn459
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Prospecting Letters

Post by nxn459 »

Hey again

Everyone gave some good advice about cold calls.. so onto my next question, what do you think about prospecting letters?

Just like the topic of cold calling, Ive read a ton of mixed reviews and opinions.

For those of you who have found them succesful, is there a special formula? stamp vs bulk mail.. size of envelope, return card type thing??

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
InsMgmt
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Prospecting Letters

Post by InsMgmt »

Make the letter very short, one or two paragraphs, introducing yourself and your agency, and state that you will be calling to ask for an appointment. Enclose a business card and maybe an agency brochure or product brochure targeted to a specific audience, but only if it is a well crafted piece - don't send cheap, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-Microsoft-Publisher-pants brochures unless you are well versed in marketing and brochure publishing. Use a stamp. Using a precall-letter may help to warm up your suspects, but chances are they will pitch the letter as soon as they start reading the first line. Though, it may help them to recognize your name or the agency name when you call. That alone might be worth the cost of the mailing.

You will never, and I do stress NEVER, sell a significant client over the phone or by letter - some small commercial accounts(contractors) and personal lines clients, perhaps, but never the middle market or large commercial accounts. Even the small Main Street Mom & Pop businesses are going to require a visit to make the sale.

Do not expect to see numbers above 1-3% of the businesses to whom letters were mailed calling for information. Those that do call you need to be throughly vetted before you take the next step with them - many are being canceled by their current carrier and are looking for a hungry agent to rewrite the coverage - bad news from the get-go.

Remember that the real purpose of a phone call and its precall-letter partner is to get an appointment. Do your selling the old fashion way - eye to eye.
nxn459
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by nxn459 »

thanks for your input.

I havent any intention on trying to sell someone through the mail or over the phone.

I'm new to the commercial side of sales and being young and building a network i'm trying to get those appointments. Ive figured advice from those in the business is probably the best advice im going to get and its appreciated. I've started making cold calls, both phone and just stopping by businesses but not getting a great response. So now im looking at writing a letter.

I've also thought about possibly holding a seminar and addressing a topic to a specific market. I'm also looking into getting something published in some local newspapers.. anything to get the name out there.
InsMgmt
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsMgmt »

The letters may help to get your name out there, but don't stop the cold calling or stopping by businesses. If you are going to market yourself you have to keep at it. You will find that, during the early days of your career, persistence with cold calling and simply dropping by those businesses you want to write will eventually payoff.

It takes being very selective as you develop your list of those you will cold call or drop by to see - then work that list over and over again. In time you will begin to write those accounts and after you have had a chance to show just how good you are in meeting needs or fulfilling requests for service, you will start asking for referrals - then your cold calling days will be pretty much behind you. But, until that day, you should continue to cold call in your niche market, send out the letters, offer "expert" advice in seminars, and see if you can be healded as the "Expert on Your Side" by a local newspaper (also called advertising fluff pieces created to appear as news stories).

You seem to be on track - stay positive and have fun! You will do just fine.