Home in Protection Class 8

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
L&C Ins
Insurance Journal Fan

Home in Protection Class 8

Post by L&C Ins »

We are looking to place coverage ASAP for this home, but keep getting turned down. We have a client that need insurance on their secondary home in Olypic Valley, CA.

DETAILS:
The home is in a protection class 8, however no fire hydrates within 1,000 ft. (no municipal hydrates). Very few fire hydrates in the area, but fire department water trucks in the area about 6 miles away from the home. Yes, paved roads.
Looking for $350,000 in dwelling coverage.
Any ideas? Thank you for your help in advance!!!!

Lions & Coventry Insurance Services
http://www.lionsandcoventry.com
Toll Free 1.877.881.8848
Fax. 916.967.1591
Lic. # OG22084
E-mail: Lauren@lionsandcoventry.com
Companyman
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: Home in Protection Class 8

Post by Companyman »

I guess I would verify the protection class that you are giving. Typically a home w/ hydrants over 1000ft and over 5 miles from a FD is going to be classed as a PC10. Did the company that writes the primary home already decline to write? Is it a wildfire hazard? Why ASAP? Lapse in coverage? There are numerous flags that come up the an underwriter may be reviewing that could be leading to a decline to write.
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by meytai »

Foremost Insurance son, they'll take that PC 8
kevinraz
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by kevinraz »

L&C, the word is "hydrant".

That does sound like it's in a PC 10 to me. PC 8 is usually within 5 miles of a volunteer department and has hydrants nearby.

Protection class 10 is more than 5 and no available water nearby. It's basically unprotected. Here is what the underwriter thinks:
1 It's not occupied 100% of the time
2 The fire department is 6 miles away. That is probably a 15 minute response time after the fire is reported.
3 Once the tender exhausts it's water supply other water sources are scarce.

1+2+3= high chance of a total loss against a few thousand in premium. This is not a deal that I would like to write.

Foremost is a good stand alone option. If you have their primary with a carrier like Chubb they might consider the second home.
Kevin Rasmussen AU, CIC