New Guy

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

agentsking1
Insurance Journal Fan

New Guy

Post by agentsking1 »

Greetings Folks:

I am a newly licensed agent in Florida. I don't have a little experience writing business I hold both P&C license as well as Life, Health etc. If you had it to do over again today....what would you do if you were in my shoes and you know what you know?
meytai
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: New Guy

Post by meytai »

Join a franchise
Gunther
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by Gunther »

You cannot sell hats or cars or shoes without having “product knowledge”. Learn the product and continue to know it as the industry changes. Pursuing designations is a great way to do this.

You are selling insurance and not prices. Your clients will be really unhappy with the price when a claim is not covered.

If I asked you if you knew someone to fix my plumbing or repair my car you could probably think of a name. I had my air conditioning fixed last summer. Before I had it fixed I asked my friends and co-workers if they knew of anybody. Often times the reply starts with “I got a guy”. Be “That Guy” for insurance.

If you want to build a good business then you will have to choose good business partners. With honesty and integrity have a genuine care and concern for your clients. Likewise, do business with clients that have the same honesty and integrity and walk away the ones that you feel are not ‘a good fit’ for your agency. This goes for the companies you choose to write with as well.

When you get a ‘thank you’ for doing your job well or hear about how a claim was handled perfectly, ask for a referral. Let your clients know that their biggest compliment is in the form of a referral.

End your phone calls with something like, “where’s your other stuff”. Most times they will tell you about all their insurance coverages. Life, health, auto, home …whatever.
Rainmaker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Rainmaker »

What exactly are you looking to accomplish? What is your desired outcome?
David E. Estrada
Founder & Managing Director
Rainmaker Advisory LLC
Portland, Oregon
www.rainmakeradvisory.com
erieagent
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by erieagent »

When I was a driver for UPS I was asked if I was the best driver in our center. I said "No. I good but Willie Angel is the best". I was told, "you need a different job." My answer is to your question is be the best agent for your client. Read search and question other agents, they will be glad to help you. Then make your client better off for having you as his agent. Lonnie Bryant CLU
michga11
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by michga11 »

you need to start from the beginning. like the folks said above, you can't start a business with no knowledge. not unless you have lots of money and can get you some experienced hired help. without that, there will be nothing but a big fail involved. i think this is how our owner began. he still is clueless and always is spouting crap out to clients that is the biggest line of bull. then they catch on and we lose them. leave it to the hired hands. "you don't know what you're talking about."