CPCU New Candidate Q

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
kp10tang
Insurance Journal Fan

CPCU New Candidate Q

Post by kp10tang »

Dear all,

I am a new to insurance industry. I'd like to get CPCU and just started studying.
But i noticed that there's gonna be a change for 510. it is going to be replaced by 500 so i decided to study 551 first since i work with commercial accounts at my work.

1. do i need to start w/ 500?
2. 20 Hours Per week for 3 months, is that enough time to finish 551?
3. Do i need to take online course?
4. CFA,CPA,CPCU,CFP,ARM in which order would you rate from the hardest to the easiest?

Thank you.
Gunther
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: CPCU New Candidate Q

Post by Gunther »

1.) You can start with any one you want as long as you complete all 8. In any case, I would start with the one your will feel most comfortable with so you “hit a home run on your first at bat”.

2.) I did a solid hour a day. No TV, radio, kids, distractions… I did and hour early every morning while walking on the treadmill. I was in the best shape of my life when I earned my designation. Also, I tried to carve out 2-3 hours on Sunday mornings to do the workbook.

3.) I did the reading, workbook and smart practice exams in that order and went 8 for 8. If you feel you are struggling then whatever it takes flash cards, online classes and/or Burnham system.

4.) It’s my understanding that when your earn the CLU designation you are automatically eligible to sit for the CFP. The difficulty of the other designations is measured greatly on your educational and work experience background.

Good Luck!
mhw182
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by mhw182 »

I would reccomend doing what you feel you may be most comfortable with. I started with CPCU 553 which has a lot of personal insurance stuff in it. I did not realize until later that it is considered "advanced". I have my own system down now for how I study. Some people like to cram and I cant' do that. I read 2 chapters a week. I typically do a 1/2 chapter a day until I have two chapters finished for the week. I highlight what I think is important in the chapter and then go back and do the online cd test. I am usually finished in 7 weeks and the last week is for final week is review. I felt that 510 (now 500) was not that bad. It's an essay exam so unfortunately they only test you on about 30-35 questions. So you study the book but are only tested on 25% of it. I am half way through at this point. I am now working on 520 which I will start studying for in October. It took 3 days to get my grade back. I took 510 last tuesday got the grade on friday.
sheena
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by sheena »

Hey Guys....I need some help from all you guys..I m doing a project on CPCU Membership...
If you are member of CPCU Society please respond as I have some queries that I would like you to answer...
Also, if you are not member of CPCU Society and have given CPCU Exam then also please reply to the following questions:
1) Do you think CPCU Membership is decreasing?Are there lesser people taking the exam?
2) If yes, then what factors do you think is responsible?
3) If you are given an option to pick some other options apart from giving CPCU what career option will you choose?
Please answer the above.will post some more after this,
It would be of great help as this will help me prepare data and research on CPCU Society as a whole!

Thanks,
Sheena