In search of best PDA for Insurance business

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

roycheong1031
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

In search of best PDA for Insurance business

Post by roycheong1031 »

Hi all!

I want to know what is the best PDA for insurance use? (it can be PDA, tablet PC, netbook, etc...)

Since I want to be able to do business transaction during an on-the-run basis.

Any comments and thought will be appreciate.

Thanks!
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: In search of best PDA for Insurance business

Post by Big Dog »

First...there is no "best".

As to netbooks, they quickly lost their usefullness/popularity/purpose when the iPad was announced.
When you say you want "to do business transation during an on the run basis", are you looking to be able to fill out online forms, or complete Acord applications?

If it's to complete Word documents and such, you'll need something that has the capacity to handle MS Word, so you're lookng at a notebook. One of the new Win7 based tablet PC's might work, but for serious work, you should really look into a well designed notebook. Battery power should be key - that is, how long with it run doing normal work on it's battery. FWIW, Apple MacBook Pro's have about the longest battery life available (and yes, Office for Mac 2011 rocks).
roycheong1031
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by roycheong1031 »

Great! thanks for the advice! so the Notebook should be the one that I should keep an eye on it then!
RKunz2
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by RKunz2 »

roycheong1031 wrote:Hi all!

I want to know what is the best PDA for insurance use? (it can be PDA, tablet PC, netbook, etc...)

Since I want to be able to do business transaction during an on-the-run basis.

Any comments and thought will be appreciate.

Thanks!

I was recently talking with a tech that is an Apple person and currently owns/uses a MacBook Pro. He told me flat out that he's selling his MacBook Pro for one of these (ThinkPad X Series Tablet).

Now, before 2008 I was not a Lenovo person. I now have several ThinkPad R Series notebooks. Lenovo's warranty and service sold me. They don't mess around and force you to send in your machine for warranty repairs, they send user-serviceable parts (never more than 2-days express) and it's about a 10 minute deal, even for a novice, to swap things out and you're back up and running.

Additionally, Apple has done outstanding cross-platform work, which makes them very relevant in the PC World now; however, I believe that you'll find most insurance apps to be designed more for Windows then O/S X.

Okay, I'm a PC person; however, I don't bash Apple because they have an excellent product. I'm in the camp of, "what is your intended purpose?" If you're doing any kind of media (graphic, art, video, audio production, etc), then you absolutely must have an Apple. If you're in a business where e-mail, spreadsheets, word processing, image applications, or number crunching is your main focus, get a PC.

That's just my $0.2 cents. :lol: