Who's Best TAM or X-Dimensional ??

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Who's Best TAM or X-Dimensional ??

Post by sanddog »

Hello Brokers, with AMS....I would need and opinion from true Insurance Broker's and CSR's..
Please No AMS company people thank you. ...What do your opinion of X-dimensional over TAM applied system. I must make a costly $$$ decision for an agency management system. I was told that XD was designed by several X-employees of the TAM system. XD is half the cost and was told much easier to understand. I currently use TAM, it seems to be outdated and to many extra feature's to navigate. The cost is very high, as will they think their the whole show. I don't like their mind set but if that's the best golden handcuff out there then TAM it is. Please help :roll: :roll: :roll:
miinsguy
Insurance Journal Addict

TAM vs Nexsure

Post by miinsguy »

I use to use TAM at my old agency.

When I went on my own last year, I wanted the best. The state Association endorsed Nexsure. I tried using it for 6 months. The accord section works fine. Downloads are so so - depends a lot on the carrier.
Accounting I found to be a NIGHTMARE!

They have a training website where the accounting functions work, but the real site does not operate that way. I wasted more time in that 6 months that I wanted to send them a bill for a lot of money!

There is another factor to keep in mind. We had some serious connectivity issues with our local phone company SBC. What might be fine for a home used will not work well for an agency with the demands of using large files over 3,000 miles of internet.

A plus for Nexsure the service people are friendly but thatonly goes so far!

[/list]
pita3333
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pita3333 »

I have used TAM in past and did not like it.

One of my tasks when I was hired here 7 months ago was to purchase a new system...I checked out many and did demos on the top ones.

I eventually selected AMS 360 based on my review and my past use.

So far so good with 3 months under our belt....sure there are some things I would like to see different..but I am not a code writer!

Another thing to consider is how active is the local user group.
gadgitgirl
Insurance Journal Fan

Nexsure Accounting

Post by gadgitgirl »

Our agency is a current user of Nexsure. It is true that initially Nexsure had no accounting and that there were some issues when accounting was initially added to the system. However, this is no longer an issue with the Nexsure system.

Our agency did a lot of research and talked with several Nexsure users before moving to this system. We would not have done so had we not been confident in the funcationality of all areas of the system.

It is important to remember that no system is perfect and all systems have issues from time to time. However, the Nexsure team is committed to making this the best system available in our industry.
mica
Insurance Journal Fan

Agency Systems

Post by mica »

Several factors to consider:
1. AMS has almost always operated at a loss.
2. AMS has been in the process of closing facilities.
(St. Louis, Fremont, Texas, Bolivar, Windsor, others, and Beachwood soon I think)
3. Staff reductions in the last 8 years are something like 65%.
4. They were recently sold off. (Hellmen and Friedmen)
5. Rating integration is no longer guarranteed as AMS Rating is dwindling.

I have dealt with the sales and developer staff and in my opinion, they don't care and are clueless. I believe there has been a near 100% turnover in sales staff in 2 years. As proof of clueless, a former head of AMS is reputed to have said, "That internet thing, we don't need to worry about it, its a fad".

I have also dealt with the Nexsure staff. Everyone is attentive, interested, and friendly. The product looks by far the best I have seen. I have never used it. I understand that they are probably also not profitable. I also cannot comment on TAMS as I have no experience with them.

I will say that Nexsure is the only new product I know of. The others I have seen are companies trying to beat life out of dead horses.
insuranceops
Insurance Journal Fan

Nexsure

Post by insuranceops »

We were on TAM for 15 plus years and moved to nexsure in April. We have 20 employees using the system and like ANY system there are issues from time to time. The big difference is that the XDTI team is always there to help and get you through those issues. It is true that the Nexsure lacked accounting in the past that is not the case now. The system has a GAP compliant accounting system that could stand up to the toughest auditing standards. We have had little to no down time; in fact we were servicing our clients from multiple remote locations after Hurricane Wilma rendered our office unusable for week. If you look deeper in to the company you will find that both The Hartford and Choicepoint are major investors in the company. I hope this helps in you thinking process.
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Hello gadgitgril, Mica and insuranceops, thank you guys for your responses, however I am a little suspicious in your comments. Please... this is a very difficult and expensive decision, and until you have walk in a broker shoes you may never know. It is my hopes that your not Nexsure employee's as your posting are very similar. Ihope i am wrong. :roll:
I must say pits3333 and miinguy are good by me. I hope the info is appropriate and non-biased. Thank you for your help, i still am not sure wear to go. AMS 360 seems to not have many followers and TAM is old and need many adjustments, but they are proven.
X Dimensional my be the answer>>> :oops: :? :wink:
mica
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by mica »

Sandog,

I am DEFINITELY not affiliated with Nexsure. I do however have a lot of business associateds and friends that are current and former AMS employees.

Mica
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

mica, thank you for your response. It's very hard to get a non-basic opinion. I am truly glade I have yours, it's looking like X-D Nexsure is the way to go. As you know any agency management system is costly. This is a very expensive system. :wink:
Obelix2005
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Obelix2005 »

We have been using TAM since 1988. I have looked at several other agency management programs in the last couple years. None of them solve 100% of all the problems a MGA or retail agency may have.

With Applied Systems one gets a proven program, excellent support, many local user groups, a very active national usergroup including an extremely helpfull, active, and current newsgroup where all agency questions can be addressed and many solutions found. The Applied Real-Time online technical support is excellent and immediately available when issues come up.

We have many legal entities setup in TAM, pay hundreds of producers every month, do lots of agency bill items, direct bill items, company reconciliations.

If TAM/Windows Server 2003 is not suitable, then check out the Vision/SQL Server system.

I hope this helps.
Obelix / Texas
blondie
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by blondie »

I have been a TAM user since 1983 and have seen the product continually growing with features and functionality throughout the years. I am curious about why you don't like TAM. What exactly is it that you do not like about it? I find the program to be not only user friendly, but offers the features and functionality that we need. From a training standpoint, it is very easy to train new employees. I don't have issues with the Applied support staff. They are always prompt to respond to my needs and are courteous and knowledgeable.

Applied has not only one, but two great product offerings with TAM and Vision. If TAM doesn't fit your needs, have you looked at their Vision product?

I have seen AMS360 and don't care for it. I honestly don't know much about Nexsure. I find that what a lot of people find attractive about a new product is that they are not inheriting problems that they have already built into their existing data. The old "if we had known, we would have done it differently".

User groups was mentioned in on of the replies and I have to say that the ASCnet (Applied Systems Client Network) user group is VERY involved and works very closely with Applied. ASCnet is very active usergroup that offers newsgroups where you can post questions and find solutions to many topics as well as many educational offerings, discounts on products from various vendors, etc.

While there is no one product that is 100% perfect, I think that with Applied, you are getting a proven product that continually grows with us as we continue to grow.

Hope this helps.
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Hello Obelix2005, thank you for your comment. I appreciate it. :wink:
jctwindad
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jctwindad »

If you truly want an unbiased opinion, you need to talk with Steve Anderson. Steve writes a column each month in Rough Notes, and often has articles in Independent Agent magazine. He is "the guru" on insurance agency automation issues. He is a former agent, who is very knowledgeable re automation issues, and now is a full time consultant. You can find him at http://www.SteveAnderson.com or phone him at 615/599-0085. From my discussions with him, I can tell you that he feels Applied/TAMS is quickly becoming an antiquated system; he feels that AMS 360 will be a good system, but is still getting the bugs worked out, as it is less than a year old, and has already had 8 updates, it also has less than 50 users nationwide; he feels that NexSure is going to be a very strong player in agency automation, and likes their product. If you can wait another 6-12 months, do so, as both AMS 360 and NexSure are still getting the bugs worked out, and no one needs to be a guinea pig.
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Blondie, TAM is quickly becoming an antiquated system. I must say its difficult to learn and use's and that comes from trainee's. :? I have never known anyone that uses more then 60 % of that system. The system has way to many furthers to navigate. The system is design on a old out dated platform. The following irradiating Example is the application dba section as will as other parts of TAM. They limit the character spaces available and print size. When done loading to a printer it's extremely slow process. The application print is so small, you wonder why the character space is so limited. :roll: The Cost $$ O' my God, I guess if your looking for a TAX right off then spend the money. :x
Blondie, if you read through the posting, I think you will see that it's time for a change. And I need a change with newer internet based technology. Most of these threads just don't like TAM. I have tried to find a reason to spend the big bucks but it's just not coming to fruition.
sanddog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog »

Jctwindad, thanks for the information unfortunately I can't wait that long I need to make decision pretty quick. I think with technology were always wishing we could wait just another 6 months. :?