Romanian government websites and other institutions were the target of a cyber attack Friday morning that the nation’s intelligence agency attributed to a pro-Russian hacking unit.
The hacker group known as Killnet claimed credit for so-called distributed denial-of-service attack, which began at around 4 a.m. local time, the Romanian Intelligence Service said in a statement. Such attacks attempt to overload systems by flooding the target with superfluous requests from multiple sources.
The cyber assault hit the websites of the country’s defense ministry, border police, railway company CFR Calatori and a financial institution, which were not functional for several hours. Killnet had previously targeted institutions in the U.S, Estonia, Poland, the Czech Republic and NATO, the agency said.
Romania’s ruling Social Democratic party and parliament speaker Marcel Ciolacu said this week that the eastern nation bordering Ukraine is considering options for potential military aid to Kyiv. Ciolacu commented after a visit to Ukraine with Romanian Prime Minister Nicolae Ciuca, where they pledged more assistance to help Ukraine defend itself against the Russian invasion.
Photograph: Government building Victoria Palace, which houses the Romanian Prime Minister’s office, in Bucharest, Romania, on Tuesday, March 30, 2021. Photo credit: Andrei Pungovschi/Bloomberg.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.

BMW Recalls Hundreds of Thousands of Cars Over Fire Risk
World’s Growing Civil Unrest Has an Insurance Sting
Florida Insurance Costs 14.5% Lower Than Without Reforms, Report Finds
Insurify Starts App With ChatGPT to Allow Consumers to Shop for Insurance 

