Old Homes in North Texas

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
brian3323
Insurance Journal Fan

Old Homes in North Texas

Post by brian3323 »

I am having trouble being competitive on older homes in Texas. I have Travlers, MetLife, Encompass, Safeco, State Auto, Hartford, Kemper and they are all really high for these homes. I quoted a home for a friend a week or so ago, and the best premium I could find was about a thousand bucks more than what could be considered reasonable. I understand that older homes are more likely to have claims, but my markerts are not in the ballpark. Plus if has become popular in this area to buy these old bungalo homes and fix them up, so there is a pretty good market for these risks.

Thanks
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Old Homes in North Texas

Post by d's insurance store »

You need to figure out which market IS competitive and then either approach them or concede that segment to whomever is competitive.

Is it a direct writer like State Farm or Allstate? Sometimes, for reasons that can never be explained, direct writers just choose to take risks at standard or preferred risks that every other carrier holds their nose over.

Most small and medium sized independent agencies targeting mostly personal lines and small commercial will never be competitive in EVERY area, and you'll just have to learn to pick your battles.

You'll drive yourself nuts if you focus on that which you can't competitvely write...so you'll have to figure out what you can do best and maximize that. If there's not enough of that category to keep you in business and growing, well, none of us have any heavenly rights to be successful and you'll have to go in a different direction.
centex
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by centex »

Try to get planted with Hochheim Prairie, RVOS/Priority One or Germania
pgamga
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by pgamga »

Brian3323,

Give me a call and I think I can help you with the market you need.

Virgil Perkins
Preferred General Agency
1-877-437-4350